1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opening Acts/Sound Check/Monitor Mix

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Kael, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Just a quick question for anyone working FOH/monitor mixes that are on here.

We use a utility guy who has 4 instruments, all of which are solely dependent on the monitors. He doesn't use an amp. Also, we are usually have 6 men on stage so there's no way stage left can hear stage right without a decent monitor mix. Usually, we set up, take the time to get a good mix on the monitors, get the sound set for FOH and then go hit the hotel leaving the opening act to do their thing. Occasionally we'll backline the opener to make things run smoother. None of us are kids who crank their amps to 11. We keep a fairly quiet stage. Our drummer is light handed. For some reason, approximately half of the time when we get back to the venue, the monitor mix has been trashed. We've worked with soundmen who have digital board where I would've presumed that they saved our presets. Doesn't seem to change the outcome.

Any suggestions for action from us that could help alleviate this? We do frequently offer to backlkine drums and bass, but I don't think that is the issue. Usually it is the utility player, acoustics and vox that are... wonky.

Really wish we were still on the road with our on FOH guy and had the in ears system we had been talking about. Oh well...

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    PS: When we are supporting another act and are the opening act, the monitors are almost always spot on. This is something I've noticed that only occurs when we have an opener. Thought I'd mention this as I don't think it is something that is being caused by mains interacting with a room now packed with bodies.

3. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Dunno how or why, but this thread double posted. Mods feel free to delete one of them.

4. What I’ve seen soundmen do is document the settings for every channel after sound check for the main act is complete – input gain, EQ, monitor sends, etc. Then during the set change between the opening and main acts, everything is re-set according to the documentation.

Assuming you have an analog console with real knobs, you could easily design a template with circles representing the knobs of each channel strip, then mark the settings on the template. That would give an easy visual aid for re-setting the console.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, or the ghetto version of that, strips of board tape down alongside the affected channels, circles with marks on them representing the settings for the headliner's gains, monitors and EQ, so that they can get put back after the openers are done.

6. Hmm bummer, if that truly is the case, don’t even waste time with a sound check, just drop/setup the gear and go to the hotel.