Opening for another band album release drama.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassike, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    Hi, Just wanted to know what people thinks of this cause while, I understand both sides, it took me by surprise.

our jam space mates, are releasing a new album, and they invited us to open for them.

yesterday the BL from the other band writes me, cause he noticed we booked a show, a month before his album release, and he was asking me what's up with that.
    im attaching a screenshot of the conversation, but to sum up, we are doing a show to help some guy that lost all his stuff in a fire, and the other band got upset because they believe that if we do a show a month before opening for them, we wont bring any crowd to the album release.

and i get his point, but on the other hand i don't think we did anything wrong.

see below.
    bl.PNG

bdplaid likes this.
  2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Really?!?

Unless you signed an exclusive contract with this guy, I don’t see any reason on earth that he should have a say in anything your band does or does not do. I wouldn’t hesitate to play my own gig the night before opening for his band. He can go stuff himself.

On another note, the apologetic way you responded to him suggests a weird power dynamic - in his favour.

What, if anything, do you owe this guy?

3. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    yes, I agree about it, but it really caught me by surprise, and felt guilty, but I taught it was kind of weird.

DirtDog likes this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Agree with @DirtDog completely

That guy was way out of line.
    You've nothing to feel guilty about or apologise for.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Unless this is a really big opportunity for your band (opening for him), I’d be inclined to call his bluff on this.

Say to him something like: “I get your concern, but we don’t feel the same way. We work hard to build our own fan base and can’t pass up any opportunity to perform at this stage. We don’t beleive this will have a negative impact when we open for you”.

If he has an issue with that, he may toss you off his bill, but your integrity will still be intact.

6. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    It sounds like your "friend's" band is made up of 5 year old girls?

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Everyone can use the playground, kids... 13590485_1755061491407614_5029217440252467760_n.jpg

OtherLisa, CTv, Aqualung60 and 11 others like this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics

Around here at least, working bands tend to draw much better than non-working ones. Your show is a month before the opening slot? He should be thanking you, that's plenty of time for your audience from the benefit show to want to come see you again. Especially if it's in a different venue.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  9. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    that is what i was thinking, but didn't know hot to express it at the time.

10. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    If you'd like to post his email address here, I'm sure we'd be happy to express it for you.:)

Good luck with your own gig, by the way!

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Is your band that lame that you can only get a crowd once a month to watch you play?
    If the answer is no, play your gig and let this other guy know you'll promote the gig with his band as your next performance during this other gig.

Hey everybody....thanks for coming out tonight. You don't have to wait long to see us again, we'll be playing with *other band name* when they drop their new record on *date*. Bring your ticket stub from tonight to that gig, and we'll let you meet the band after our show.

-Mike

12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I have to agree with what everyone else is said, although I sympathize with your initial reaction more than some others seem to. If I thought that this guy was doing me a favor by offering my band the gig, and suddenly he's angry at me because he thinks I stabbed him in the back, my first reaction would be to apologize and wonder if I had done something wrong. The only thing I would have done differently is that before responding to him, I would've waited awhile until the confusion fog lifted -- in which case my second thought would've been "Wait a minute.... he has no reasonable grounds to be made at me about this!"

I think you can now go back to him, after (hopefully) you have both calmed down, and tell him that you've been thinking about this (and/or or that you've talked to a bunch of other people about it), and that (1) you're sorry that he feels that way, but you just don't see how you did anything wrong by booking that other gig, and (2) you don't see any reason to believe that the other gig will hurt attendance at his gig, and that if anything it might even help.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Totally out of line. He has exactly zero right to tell your band when you can and can't play. Zero. It's your time, not his, and your job is to book your band whenever you can that fits your goals as a band. Is he worried that his band can't draw (to its own CD release party?) and has to rely on drawing your followers? Pffft.

Obese Chess, TH63, Joe Nerve and 24 others like this.
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Moved to Band Management.

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Playing a show in the same month? I can see getting riled if you played the same weekend ... maybe. And if a band can't draw a crowd playing gigs a month apart, they can't reliably draw a crowd.

murphy, dxb, bdplaid and 7 others like this.
  16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    He's being an idiot.

If you can't bring a crowd only playing twelve shows a year, you can't bring a crowd playing six shows a year either.

14-21 days between bookings is the standard minimum between local venues.

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Also this ^

He's worried about another's bands draw at his band's album release show?

Sounds like he needs to find his big boy pants.

18. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    If my friends' band said they were angry with my band because of this issue I would tell them to grow up . . . and get another band to open for them.

Seriously, I would have exactly zero patience for immature stuff like that.

19. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    You did nothing wrong, and there is no reason to have to apologise for the timing of your gigs. As others have said, your gig a month before the album release party is a perfect opportunity to promote that show. How you handle this is completely up to you, but if I were in your shoes I would explain how a gig a month before could be beneficial.

caug, bdplaid, mohrds and 3 others like this.
  20. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    This would occasionally come up in contractual negotiations for some concert series--an agreement not to perform within a certain radius and a certain lead-time before the gig.

There are so many things wrong with a local yahoo trying to pull this, with, I'm guessing, like no real dollars to back up the demand.

Garret Graves, bdplaid and Grumry like this.