1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opening for big names

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HighwayStar, May 2, 2010.

1. HighwayStar

HighwayStar

Jul 8, 2008
    Toronto
    Hey guys, I know many people on TB have opened for well known bands but how did you organize that?

2. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    My band hasn't opened for really big names, but we have played with popular names haha
    The way we did it was to approach the show promoter, in our case it was the owner of the venue. We asked if we could open for <insert name> and he said he didnt mind and would ask the band. A few days later he came back and said they didn't mind that we open for them, and we had 25 minutes.

I would say your best bet is to find out who organized the show and see if theres room in the line up.

3. +1

4. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    we found out who the promoter was that brought the bigger names into town. Played a few shows for him, and then he started adding us to the bigger shows.

5. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    that ^

also, around the Boston area, it's really more about if you can sell tickets, AKA "Pay to Play". Big festival type deals are about 150 @ $30 ($4500) while indoor national acts are usually 100 @ $15-20 ($1500). Even a small club we previously played at that has very little draw is now requiring 50 @ $10 with no national acts.

6. there are local festivals, (in my town its called bearstock) where locally known bands get to play all day, and its headlined by bigger bands. (we the kings, the maine, cartel, and jeremih this year)