Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opening for M-A-C-E-O!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I just secured a gig opening for Maceo Parker at the Webster Theatre in Hartford, CT, this coming Sep 7!

I do most of the booking and handle the management duties for the band, and I spend most of my time making follow-up call after follow-up call, mostly un-returned and ignored....

hey, Mr. Clubowner/Talent Buyer :hyper: :hyper:

here I am...over here...:hyper: ...may I puh-LEEZ have a gig at your fine establishment...sure $100 for the whole band sounds fine...I see no problem in drawing 700 people to your club in East Bumfrick on a Tuesday night...we have to bring our own sound and lights too?...no problem.

So I hope y'all don't mind if I congratulate myself (patting self on back). Small victories are few and far between, I'm afraid.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Who's da man?

YOU da man!

Congrats! Don't screw up! :D ;) :D

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    those guys have groove.

saw em' twice in Austin

4. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    You DA man!!!!!!Need a bassplayer???:D
    Well done Craig.I've travelled your path,CONGRATS!!
    (you know you have to pay for your own coffee+tax?);)

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    SWEET! Like nojazz, I saw Maceo in Austin (Antone's - '92 or so?) and all I've got to say is:

You did well!

:D :bassist:

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lucky bastard.

Have a great gig! Make sure you record it somehow.

By the way, great website. Nice audio samples too.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Nice work!!! That is frikkin awesome!!!

No get up offa that thing and see if you can do better

;)

P.S. I'm jealous! Actually my band are supporting BlockHeads in November, which should be pretty darned good, but it's a far cry from Maceo!

P.P.S. Agreed, web site v-good, but music is better! Nice tight n' light grooves. I dig :)

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks BB. :cool:

I'm sure we'll get a board mix, but thanks for the reminder.

I'm working on another opener that will be very cool if it's confirmed. Won't say who until it is...don't want to jinx it. ;)

9. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I second that - excellent audio samples. Have a great show!

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks for the kind words, submelodic. :oops:

We had an absolutely awful gig last Friday night. A couple near train wrecks...on material we've been doing for a looooooong time. :oops: :oops: Bad gigs can be humbling, man.

We usually kill after a sub-par performance though, so....

11. that's really exciting. wish i had the talent to play on that level.

on a side note -- one club booking strategy that has been working well for me is "the assumed close." that is, when i contact the person, i choose my words so it seems we've had a conversation before. so it's, "hi, this is debb with smogg regarding the dec. 10th gig". this cements in their mind that we spoke at some earlier point, even if we didn't.

this has been much more effective for me than a standard, you-don't-know-me-from-adam blind intro. also, getting them face-to-face at the club is another strong sell.

good luck with your gig!
    m

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Craig, the Mystery Feet
    Cd has been in my player since i received the disc. Anything new in the works ?

D

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Hey Donz...thanks! :oops:

The Maceo gig went very well. Looks like we may get Hartford Jazz Festival 2004 'cause the booking cat was at the show and dug us the most!

Webster Theatre was happy, so we'll be back there. They were pleasantly surprised at not only our abilities, but the professionalism with which we conducted ourselves. I'm very proud of the band and crew. Working on another opening slot right now, in fact.

The wheels are slowly but surely starting to turn a bit smoother and faster...at least that's my perception.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Congrats!:)

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Congrats Craig!

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I saw Maceo at the HOB in Chicago and LOVED it!
    Congrats on the gig!!!

Pass the Peas
    Pass the Peas