Opening for the Motor City Madman!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sleazylenny, Jul 18, 2002.

1. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Hey ya'll

Just thought I'd share this. Tonight my band, "Hairball", (we're a cover/spoof of eighties metal) is opening for Ted Nugent at a ballroom in my neck o' the woods. I'm pretty pumped. I mean I know the guy is past his prime as far as record sales and public eye exposure, but still he's an icon from my youth. It's just cool to share the stage with someone I've gone to see so many times when I was a kid. Plus I'll have pretty good seats to watch "Terrible Ted" play his ass off. Wish me luck, and I'll get back to you to let you know how it goes.

P.S. Tomorrow we open for Kansas at a block party in Mpls, MN. That'll be cool too. I'd guess by now you've probably realized that I'm kind of an old duffer!:D

Rock on , mates!
  2. I was only 14, and it was a 12-hour lineup that included The Byrds, Grand Funk, Mashmakhan, and the Amboy Dukes. I remember Ted appearing out of nowhere on top of his amp stack and jumping into the spotlight - I thought that was pretty cool; and they did a great version of "Journey to the centre of your mind".

Have fun!!:cool:
  3. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Cool on the 2 gigs! We opened for King's X a month ago. Much fun. Good luck and that Kansas gig should be great (we cover Carry on..!)

4. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Sorry I got back so late on th e update. Here's the skinny.

Ted Nugent was kind of a bastard. He kicks ass on guitar but his people skill need honing. Wouldn't talk to any of us peons until the end of the night when he told everyone to get the righteous f*(*k out of there. Oh, well, I'm not too surprised. Love ya anyway, Ted

Kansas, on the other hand, were great. The crew ( mostly local except for the instrument techs, and the mix crew) were pleasant , professional dudes. The band was accessable and friendly. The drummer even gave our drummer a pair of autographed sticks.

It was an outdoor fest to about 5,000 people. It was the largest audience I've played for.

Then the next night, it was for a county fair, 100 people if we were lucky. Pretty humbling, really. Oh, well, free beer and gas money. Gotta love this business.:D
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've worked with Kansas before, and remember their stage techs real well...great guys. Wonder if they're the same?

Drum tech was an older guy, an obvious veteran of many years and many tours..really quiet and kind of scary looking until you talk to him and find he's the nicest guy you'd want to meet.

Was there a guy called "Squirrel" working with them? A little skinny guy with buck teeth and a really, loud profane mouth? He was a riot, kept us all in stitches.
  6. Ted Nugent was kind of a bastard. He kicks ass on guitar but his people skill need honing.

I think ol' Uncle Ted has spent too much time in the woods fondling his guns.
  7. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I'm sure the drum tech is the same. He said he'd been with Kansas for years. Your description sounded like the same guy I met. He hit it off well with our drummer because they both had an affinity for King Crimson.

I saw a guy that looked like this "Squirrel" you mentioned running the monitor board. Never did catch his name.