Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opening gig tips

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by marijn van gils, Feb 5, 2002.

1. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    haha! My first real post!

Well, on thursday we'll be opening for another band.
    We've done plenty of gigs before, together with other bands or alone, but this is different: they are the MAIN act and we are the opener. Still we are quite exited about it since, while the band is not that famous, the musicians of that band are really good (the head guy of Ozark Henry with jazzdrummer-wonderboy Stafan Galland...) And I guess we want to sound good to them (I'm a big fan of other bands Stefan Galland plays in: Aka Moon, Greetings for Mercury, ...). Also, we don't really know what to expect. We were not asked to gig by the other band, but by the organisers of the event.

Now my questions: are there any kind of specifics we should watch for this kind of gig?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm not too sure why this gig should be treated differently than any other gig. I'm curious (as I think others might be) what your concern is about. One thought I have is that if you're out to impress them, it might not be such a great frame of mind to be starting from. Thinking like that tends to put me in the underdog position and usually does nothing more than make me nervous and less likely to have a really great gig.

3. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanks for the reply!

You're absolutely right that trying to impress them wouldn't do us any good.
    For one they are professional and highly talented musicians while we are very average hobby musicians. I would be lying to say that I wouldn't want them to really like us, but the only way would be the content and athmosfere of our music itself. This we always try to do as good as possible (every gig is the same in that respect) and lately we have been rehearsing very hard and working on our songs very hard to get things right. The only way to impress anyone me thinks...
    Of course we never want to suck, but especially not in front of these guys we really adore (well, sort of...). It is only this that makes us a little bit more nervous. Maybe good to keep the right concentration for playing? But it certainly was a good extra motivation for rehearsing extra hard! It won't prevent us from playing in a normal way though.

As for my question: it is just the fact that I don't know the difference that leeds to it. I don't know if there even is a difference...
    I was wondering things like: how can I expect the people react to an opening act? Will the soundman treat us the same way as normal or is there a tendency to get too less attention in favour of the main act? Are there things we should or shouldn't be aware of for this kind of concert (during soundcheck, the concert itself, breaking up, ...)? ...

As we don't know what to expect, I guess we'll be basically try to do the same as always: try to get the sound as good as possible, then play the best we can. It will always be like that, but I was wondering about the little detals around this...

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It sounds like you guys are going to do just fine, especially if you've been working hard at your songs and you think you're ready. That's really key; if you know your songs well enough, it won't matter if you're nervous, because you can play without even realizing that you're doing it! What also helps is to think of it as practice with an audience.

In my experience, the crowd, for the most part, probably won't know your band, but they shouldn't react any differently. If they like it, they'll cheer, and if not, they'll leave. Unless you're really unlucky, the soundman will treat you nicely if you do the same to him.

Really, the "little details" you ask about are things you don't really need to worry about - they tend to sort themselves out. Good luck and above all, have fun!!!