Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opening Night Review of John Mayer Trio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Poon, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bottom Line...the show was incredible for lack of a better word.
    If you were expecting John Mayer to come in and play a trio version of all of his pop songs from his last 3 albums, think again.
    Tonight was a night filled with funky groove's, mindblowing technique, and pure wailing bluesy vocals. He only played 1 song from his previous albums, and his version of "Daughters" changed from a pleasant 6/8 ballad to an awesome 6/8 blues. Steve Jordan did an excellent job on the drums, laying down solid grooves, and doing some really nice call and response with Mayer. Although John Mayer's guitar skills were just awe inspiring, I couldn't keep my eyes and ears off Pino Palladino on bass. His fingerstyle playing is just so solid and smooth, that it literally made me come home and practice. I'm lucky I live with other musicians. Anyway, inspiring to say the least. He had a pretty sweet rig mixing Ashdown Amps with Epifani Cabs. Sounded great. He had about 5 or 6 basses, varying from 51'-P
    s to 70's esk J-basses, but he only used one bass all night. He used a pink p-bass which sounded huge.

That's about it for the night, I'll report more in the morning.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So you wouldn't consider it "music"?

brad cook

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    of course I would... definteily "Music".

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's why it belongs in Miscellaneous.

5. Thanks for the review. I love Steve Jordan as a drummer.... he's so good in so many different settings... from James Taylor (the Beacon Theatre DVD) to the Chuck Barry thing at the Fox in St. Louis. Just amazing. And Pino... I really got into him during his Music Man fretless days with Joan Armetradin and Don Henley. I somewhat recently saw him doing the P Bass thing with Simon and Garfunkel and he sounded great in that setting also.

I say John Mayer with the HeadHunter's 05 mini tour and was amazed at how good of a player he is... on top of his great songwriting, etc. Cool!