1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opening Old Wounds: Capacitor Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Jaguar Bass which has a P/J setup and another Precision Bass; when I roll off the tone on the P, it gets really dark and "muddy". I like that but when I roll the tone off on the Jag it doesn't get anywhere near as dark as the P.

So my questions are;

What capacitor value would darken the P (tone rolled off) on the Jag?

Would that cap darken the sound of the Jag overall? (i.e. will the P with the tone full open sound darker too?)

I'm sorry for rehashing this topic but I'm not very technically inclined and I looked through a couple of other threads and still need help.

Thanks!

2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I believe more farads eat up more high frequencies, but I could be wrong.

3. A higher capacitance.

For sufficiently large resistance, there is no audible difference between capacitances. You could even replace the capacitor with a piece of wire, and it would sound the same.

portpc and fretless19 like this.
  4. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    find out the value of the cap in the bass, then double it. then buy the nearest common value cap. eg, if it's "223", then that's 22nf (nanofarads). 47nf is the nearest common value to 44.

also check that the bass is wired correctly, and that the tone pot is functioning properly. you'll need a multimeter to do this.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've taken a picture of the cap in the P;
    image.

It's says 04K, is that another way of saying 0.047uf?

It's also says 250V but I'm not sure what that means,

Thanks!

6. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Here's the one in the Jag;
    image.

It says 100V

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I am pretty sure that the ceramic cap on the Jag is a .05uf cap which should be fairly dark with the tone rolled off

8. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Should be darker/dark as the cap in the Precision?

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Ahh, I overlooked that photo. That explains the difference between the two. The top one labeled 104k which is a .1uf capacitor. That would be a very dark sound with the tone rolled all the way off. The cap on the Jag is much more typical

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The second cap is a .05 100v. To darken the tone when rolled off, you can try a .068 or .1 cap. Like line6man said, it will make no difference when the tone is all the way up regardless of the caps value. Also, try to find out the part #'s of the P pickups in both basses. Theres a chance that although they are both "P" pickups, they are wound differently or have different magnets (ceramic vs AlNiCo), meaning they'll each sound inherently different regardless of the cap used.

11. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I think they're both AlNiCo. I might try a different cap. Thank you for explaining and thanks everyone

12. That says 104K, and means 0.1uF, 10%.

250V is the voltage rating. It can safely handle 250 Volts.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yes - 0.1 uF on the P and 0.05 on the Jag. The 0.1 is darker if the pickups are around the same impedance. The larger the cap value, the more of the highs are rolled off to ground.

Just use less of the tone control instead of trying to find a value in the middle. I think that there is a 0.068, but these caps have such large tolerances that even another cap of the same value may give you what you want.

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I had a simila 'problem' once.
    What I wanted was for the signal of my 4 string bass to be darker when rolled all the way back.
    I changed them and found that this change also affected the signal( darkened it) when the tone was all the way 'open'.
    At the end I settled with caps , with a value between the two.
    Not sure why the 'open' signal was affected too, and will be careful when changing caps again. What I had wanted was for the signal to be darker only when rolled of. Not when all the way open.

15. The way around that is to increase the value of the pots too, especially if you're working with 250k Ohm stock pots.

16. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    the cap in your jag is 50nf, but because it is a ceramic disk cap, it could be as low as 35-40nf. these are very cheap and are made to very low tolerances.

the cap in your p is double this (possibly more) at 100nf. this type of cap should measure very close to its marked value.

you can hear for yourself the treble loss with the tone rolled up simply by soldering just one leg at first, turning the tone pot up, then listening to the bass as you connect and disconnect the other leg.

if you think you hear too much treble drop, then replace the tone pot with a no-load one.

Killed_by_Death likes this.