Opening up an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 30, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now not as it sounds. Don't you find that your amp has to be a certain level before it really sounds alive. My ashdown needs to be at leat on 1/4 volume to sound decent. While I have a small practice amp that needs to be on about half volume before it sounds like it has any sort of tone.

Now there is a massive difference in volume between the two amps so I know its not my ears.

So just kinda wondering if you guys experience the same problems or do you have an amp that sounds as good on level 1 as it does on level 10 (Here come the spinal tap jokes)

2. I guess it depends what you call decent tone. Some people like an amp breaking up and speakers flapping, others, like me dont usually. My trace seems pretty linear until it breaks up. You may find its the speakers, IMO, speakers have four stages, 1, just audable, 2, reasonable level and a full sound, 3, high level and reasonable sound and lastly,flapping...
  3. Bah, my boombox goes up to 38.

Agreed, at a certain volume, the sound seems to fill out. 1/3 of the way up for me. On some home stereos they offer (offered?) a loudness button for the exact purpose: full sound at low volume.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    For some amps or preamp/power amps with gain and master volume controls, you can affect the richness of tone with different gain/master settings (esp. if tubes are involved).

Also, my speaker cab adds more tubey-ness the harder it's driven. It sounds really good at all levels, but above a certain db level, it really starts taking on a much more alive & rich tone.
  5. TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That is NOT fair y'all.

Mine only goes from -60 to -0.

However, in the Hi-Z world I can go from "off" to +8 :hyper:

If that isn't special, I don't know what is.