Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opera and Duets

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Reverend Duke, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    Watt!!

I met you musta been 10 years ago. fIREHOSE and Sebadoh were playin' the Maintenance Shop in Ames IA. Your knee was ****ed up, so you played sitting down. You kicked ass and talked to me before and after the show.

Anyway, my questions: first, what lead you to write "Contemplating the Engine Room"? I wouldn't mind writing an opera m'self. Words first or music?

Second: how do you work out the parts in Dos? I love the sound of what I've heard, but how do you write so there's no overlap/muddiness?

Hope to see you next month with the Secondmen at Gabes in Iowa City...

The Rev

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hey duke,

I remember that gig - eric punched out lou, not a very calm evening. the crowd was horrified. I'm a big sebadoh fan though and just saw eric in s.f. a couple days ago. I saw lou last december in london and he sang "I wanna be your dog" w/me, j mascis and the asheton brothers.

for "...enging room," I came up w/first, the titles - then the music and finally the lyrics. the opera had a plan going in my mind so I fleshed it out w/music since I knew the story well (the story of both the minutemen and of my pop in the navy).

for dos, it takes time for us to compose the parts so the work w/each other and not against. yes, you're right, we have to be creative but that's what's neat about the challenge of having a two bass only band!

on bass, watt