Opeth "Damnation"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dhwood40, Oct 14, 2003.

1. dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    30 second review.....

I don't usually recommend cd's but please do yourself a favor and buy this album. For those of you not familiar, Opeth is a Swedish metal band who have been kicking around for several years. They are extremely talented musicians.

Damnation is a bit of a change for Opeth. Gone are the death metal screams and heavy licks. This is an album of melody and atmosphere. The production is A++. I could recommend specific tracks, but they are all great.

You'll like it.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I bought both Deliverance and Damnnation at the same time, after being stunned by Morningrise, and blown away by Blackwater Park.

Damnation is probably the better album of the two- I felt that Deliverance didn't deliver in the metal department. The riffs were a bit lacking, especially when compared to their early work. (That's not to say it isn't a good album.)

I think the concept of the dual albums was pretty damn cool, though, and the pulled it off pretty well. I still like BWP best, and plan on buying the others in the collection.
  3. dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    JMX- oh to be in europe and actually be able to get these releases as early as you guys!

Anyway, let me clarify my review a little bit. I was in too much of a hurry this morning.

BWP was my first experience with Opeth, and I was floored. I like the metal mixed with acoustic. It is one of my top 5 albumns of all time.

With Damnation, I really liked that the band chose to explore the more mellow side of their music. I tend to get burned out on the metal stuff after awhile. Heck, I can listen to anything for a little while, but for it to stay in the cd player long term, it has to have that extra. This disc has a million little things that you only hear the 14th or 15th time you listen. And it has that ambience that is so difficult to catch on tape. Kinda like "Caress of Steel".

If you're a first time listener, and then switch to their other stuff (like the highly recommended Blackwater Park), you might be a little shocked, and vise versa. This disc got trashed in the press a bit when it came out because it is such a departure, but give it awhile and it will grow on you.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, yeah.

Might wanna check your release dates there buddy.
  5. dhwood40

Dec 10, 2000
    Yeah you're right. I knew I'd been out of the loop for awhile, but I missed that one. Sorry about that. For some reason I was thinking it came out in August. I think I better go find my Gingko Bilboa!