1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opeth @ the Wiltern 4/9/10

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thingus995, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    Did anyone else go??? Martin Mendez KILLED it... I always love seeing that guy play... The set was INCREDIBLE!!! Anyway, was wondering if anyone else went, thoughts, etc... Was also curious about the bass Martin used during The Lotus Eater... Looked like a 5 string jazz with a jazz neck and a mm humbucker at the bridge???

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  3. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    It wasn't any of those, this jazz had a mm humbucker at the bridge (the picture was pretty dark but looked like a normal jazz pup to me). I'm pretty familiar with his setup (he was a big part of me getting into this racket) and I've seen em a handful of times but I couldn't find that particular bass anywhere, nor have I seen it at any past shows... He played a black or midnight wine jazz for the Blackwater Park set and the switched to an Olympic white jazz with a tort guard (both 4 bangers) and only busted this 5 (white with white pearl guard) out for The Lotus Eater

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hmm. Do you know if it was even a fender? Could have been a custom, or perhaps maybe a Roscoe Beck? But the Roscoe has two humbuckers...

I dunno. But a humbucker in the bridge with a single coil in the neck sounds pretty badass.

5. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    It had the fender headstock shape, but there is always the parts bass possibility or the fact that they're outside the U.S., could be something purchased abroad as well... I was too far back to make out a headstock logo so I can't say either way if it was an actual fender or something else... I do know however that it sounded THICK, I wish he used it for a few more songs!!!

6. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    He truly is a bada**. I'm glad to see that he's remained in their lineup for 6 or 7 albums now.

7. MK84

MK84

Apr 7, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I believe martin mendez is playing sandberg basses instead of his old fenders

He's listed on the website

8. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    Yep!! That is undoubtedly the one!!! Thanks MK84!!

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
  10. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    Martin is awesome! Groovy player and proves you dont have to have a washed out, indistinct, overdriven tone to play and be heard in metal!

11. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    Did any of you guys happen to catch the show??

12. Got the vip tix so I met him at the NY show. He was happy to talk about bass and said he just started playing the Sandberg a month ago and loves it.

Show was insane :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

13. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    That's awesome!! At the L.A. Show Mikael said that Axenrot flooded 4 stories of the hotel in New York!!