Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opeth's "Damnation"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What do you think?

I one of the greatest things about Opeth is contrast. Black metal with growly vocals to soaring beautiful melodies, sometimes to two intertwining... but this is just. Well beautiful music with a very melancholy feel. Pretty without the less pretty.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the album, and I consider it great, but I'll admit, at first I was like... and the distortion kicks in... now!... now! NOW!

Then I realized it wasn't coming... then I started to dig it. I'm personally glad they did it, just to show that they could do it, and boy they did it. Fantastic songwriting all around. If you think you'd like Opeth if it weren't for that damned distortion, this is the album to get. It's a very, I need to mellow out album and I like that.

Thoughts?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I definitely recommend getting the Opeth live DVD. The set is split up, the 1st half is from Damnation the other is "a little bit harder" (quote Mikael).

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think its a great album compared to pretty much any of the other pap out there, but nowhere near as interesting as there "heavier" stuff. In My Time of Need and Hope Leaves are awesome tracks, but I think this material would have worked better if Deliverance / damanation had been released as a double.

I think you hear a little bit too much Steve Wilson in Damnation for my liking (I really like Porcupine Tree - but this isnt a PT album) - But hey, I am glad them made it and listen to it all the time - but give me "My Arms.." any day :)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah it's amazing that record companies marketing men can get their greedy hands on an artists material and decide what's to be done with it. :meh:

Death whispered a lullaby... oh yeah.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Damnation was, by far, my favorite of the two. Deliverance was pretty lacking, I thought. Especially when compared their their non-Damnation previous albums.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where is a good place to start with Opeth?

I have downloaded a few of their songs to see what all of the fuss is about, and I like what I have heard.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think all there albums are pretty much on par, although My Arms is a bit of a favourite. However I don't think that Deliverance is lacking at all...every track on there is killer - and I love deliverance & a fair judgement.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think the two best to start with are definately My Arms Your Herse (which I think is their best album - not by much) - or Blackwater Park, which, I think is by far the most "commercial" album of theirs. But, that said, Blackwater is far superior in terms or production and playing - I just think the songs on My Arms are a little better.

Really, you cant go wrong with anything from My Arms, Still Life, Blackwater Park or Deliverance as a good introduction to Opeth's sound.

Orchid and Morningrise, while good, are not really their "current" sound. Damnation is a mellow album and not really representative of Opeth. A really good place to start is the Live at the Shepherds Bush DVD which really does showcase their heavy and mellow side!

9. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Yeah - I borrowed it off a M8, was great!

I generally like most of Opeths stuff, just the odd track I don't like!

10. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I loved Damnation. Together with Deliverance, it shows the range of their talent.

Hope Leaves is my favourite track. It's pretty scary when a track can sum up how you feel about your life in four and a half minutes. :)

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you start with Blackwater Park, you might be disappointed by all of the other albums. (IMO, it's that good. One of the best coherent albums in the last decade.) Morningrise would also be a good place.

12. I've been entertaining the idea of buying some Opeth recordings for some time. I read a lot of positive comments on more than one boad and have even gone as far as listening to some 30 second sound samples. The problem is I only hear the "cookie monster" vocals and can't seem to get past that. Should I be downloading whole songs so I can get a better feel for what this band is about? I don't think I would have a problem with the CM vocals as long as they were used to contrast some more melodic stuff... any advice?

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    IMO, that's what makes them as good as they are. Their acoustic/clean songwriting, though very reminiscent of a few decades ago, is impeccable.