Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opeth's 'Still Life'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Apr 30, 2003.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Wow, the Swedes just keep getting better and better at this kooky metal-hybrid stuff, don't they? Picked this up the other day and the musicianship, composition, ideas and just basically everything knocked me for six. You just gotta love the absolute control and taste of the vastly over-talented rhythm section; there are a few showcase moments for them (those drum breaks on track 6 excite me sexually) but never once do they stray from serving the song when such reservation is called for. Astounding album, but two qualms (haha, 'qualm') -

1. The guitarist is a lovesick poof when he hops on the acoustic. It bothers me, for some reason.

2. Who the hell is Melinda? The name gets mentioned on just about every song.

Hmmm. Maybe there's some kinda relationship between 1 and 2?

Whaddya you lot reckon?

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Ta, bra. Been away for a while so I'm sure I've missed a fair few Opeth discussions. AH YEAH, being mildly famous is wicked. Spitting liquor in the faces of little children and all. Perks :D