1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion... Ampeg SVT 4 Pro vs Gallien Krueger Fusion 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brockkiemel, Apr 23, 2015.

1. SVT 4 Pro

35.0%
  2. Fusion 550

65.0%
  1. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

Jan 16, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Currently playing a Fusion 550, but have the option to trade for an SVT 4 Pro + $100.

I have played through house backlined SVT 4 Pros in the past, but have never had time to really dial in my tone on them. I don't NEED the SVT 4 Pro, but I do own 2 Ampeg 610s and an 810e (I sit on craigslist way too much) so pairing an Ampeg head with the Ampeg cab is appealing... and the option to run 2 cabs if I feel like going overboard is relatively appealing... wondering what your opinions are on the two heads for those who have had more time with the SVT than I have. I know GK has more bite, but I've got a Sansamp for that. I play heavy rock and roll / punk. Tone is relatively similar to Joe Principe from Rise Against.

Also the SVT 4 Pro is a 2007 model if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Losbass

Losbass

Jun 15, 2008
    Toronto , Canada
    Two different animals here, one way to make that decision would be to A/B both amps , to really give a fair analysis. I you already have "your tone" and are happy with it, then I would leave it at that.
    And I understand the appeal of having that all Ampeg look, given you already own the ampeg cabs. Although I own an SVT-6 Pro, and also own the MB fusion 500, they both have their own respective trademark sounds. I find the GK stuff has even more punch vs that warm/tubelike rock tone the Ampegs have. Using the Ampeg I'd probably wouldn't see the need for the Sansamp. Try and see if the person you are negotiating a trade with to let you a/b both amps.

The SVT 4 Pro's backpanel has heaps of options vs the Fusion 550. Keep in mind the svt4 pro also is stereo (2 internal amps) Personally I would lean towards the 4 pro , as you previously stated you play heavy rock/ punk

Best of luck,

brockkiemel likes this.
  3. Different amps, both will have their proponents. What will work best for you, will come down to what you want to hear.

brockkiemel likes this.
  4. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

Jan 16, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks for the replies. How does the SVT 4 match up in regards to reliability?... assuming it is on tour and is always kept in a road case.

5. They are more equal than dissimilar, no nudge there.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    4 Pros are generally very reliable. Make sure your case allows for decent ventilation and all is well.

brockkiemel likes this.
  7. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    I agree with Jimmy. When I had mine I would overheat it once a gig but, that was all operator error. My rack had almost no ventation and, I pushed it way too hard. I was young and stupid and scooped the mids too much making me use more power.

brockkiemel likes this.
  8. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

Jan 16, 2013
    Dallas, Tx

I'd be putting it in this rack... Basically your standard ATA style flight case... I'd assume this should be fine?

Also anything I should know about running in to a single 610 or 810 in regards to the back panel? image.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  9. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    That's the same rack I used. The fan is on the side of the 4pro so, you might need to drill a few holes in the rack. I did that even for my GBE1200. BTW, I hate side mounted fans.

To hook up a single four ohm cab just plug it into the bridged speakon. I'm not sure if 2007 models require a special bridged cable or not. The older ones did.

10. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Get the 4Pro. Having speaker options can be very useful for a bassist.

Get your $100 go buy beer.

brockkiemel likes this.
  11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The 4 PRO will likely suffocate in that particular rack setup. It's a warm, thick, heavy low-end Ampeg tone. It worked for me for years when dialed in to my liking, and I never had reliability issues with it. I eventually got rid of it since I was fighting the inherent Ampeg tone with my Spector bass. I preferred an amp which represented my Spector's tone without heavy coloration.

Is this head worth it over the GK head? That is for you to decide. If you like the GK growl, don't expect to get the same growl out of the 4 PRO.

brockkiemel likes this.
  12. brockkiemel

brockkiemel

Jan 16, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    The drilling idea may be a good choice.. It's always been strange to me that a rack mountable head would have side mounted fans. I am quite sure they do require the cable... ill have to be sure he's got the cable.

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Not a tremendous help but last night I A/B'd a GK MB800 vs. a SVP-CL pre + power amp at rehearsal.

At home they both sound great and I would have guessed that the GK would might have sounded better in this particular band set up as a little growl would work well as well as a bit more defined sound (both amps set for clean tone).
    Rehearsals are recorded and the CD had the same qualities as the live performance.

The surprise was the Ampeg just sat in the mix better.
    I actually liked the GK better alone (2x15 Altec 421's).
    Any chance you can try both before a purchase with your band?