1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion Basslite 10"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thegroovemaster, Mar 3, 2010.

1. I'm interested in the Basslite series 10" at 8ohms there are three to choose from S2010, CA2010, CH2010.

Here's my project. I have a Yamaha BBT 110s cabinet with Cerwin Vega Tweeter needs replacement speaker. I am goiing to make my own cabinet duplicating the BBT but no tweeter. I have an Eden WT260 rated 260 at 4ohms. This should make a nice portable rig for small to medium size rooms especially with PA support.

Would one speaker be better with tweeter vs. the other without tweeter, or better sounding highs vs. lows...etc.

Appreciate opinions.

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    without knowing the sensitivity of the tweeter its hard to say.

I'd make them both with a tweeter, but then you have to try to match the first one...

the s2010 is a really great tiny driver. can survive fine ina miniscule cab.

It is, however, just a 10 and will not appreciate more than a real 90 or so watts from a bass.

two of them, each in a cuFt, tuned to about 50hz, make a nice small-med LIGHT rig with a good rock tone.

I'd go tweets in both.

FWIW I side by sided the cab described above with one of the yammies and the yammy was louder/bigger/deeper. however, it was also 4 vs 8 ohm.

3. The tweeter is Cerwin Vega T-123 compression horn sensitivity is 100db. My idea is to always use these two together operating at 4ohms. The reason for no tweet on the 2nd cabinet is to use strickly on the bottom, and simplier to wire. I did get a return call from Al at US Speaker he confirmed my thoughts too, the S2010 should work well with this ported cabinet, no real advantage to using the CA or CH versions.

Thanks for taking the time to give your input.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    You should do a search for the BBT 110 here and find the specs for the original driver and try to match that, as the cab is really well tuned for the speaker.

I play a BBT500 110 combo and have looked around for these cabs and they're pretty rare...but the drivers are about $175 from Yamaha...so I've opted to get some BillFitzmaurice plans...which are loud speakers with great low end extension.

Love my combo but know it's because the design was pretty flawless and to do this project right you need to make sure to do your homework, not just look at the middle of the road 10" drivers and hope it'll sound right.

5. If I am correct I believe the stock driver from Yamaha was Eminence 4 ohm in the BBT 110s? In your opinion are you saying you think the Basslite is a middle of the road driver.
    I did get the specs from Yamaha for the tweeter but at $162.88 it was not an option the the Cerwin Vega matched fine at $26.95.

Thanks for the input.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i had four of the CA2010's, and while i liked the way that they sounded, the aluminum cones kept seperating from the surround on them. i had to re-epoxy 360 dgrees around the cone on all four of them before i switched them all out for 2510's.

7. Thanks John, yeah Al at US Speakers did not advise the CA's although he didn't say why... I guess now I know. I've owned a couple of Hartke cabinets over the years XL 4.5, 12" Kickback never an issue with the cones...interesting. The 2510's are more than I care to spend for this experiment however, but how's the sound IYHO.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i like the 2510's alot. they're super punchy, and work well in small cabs. they have quite a bit of a midrange bump at 2-3K (especially at 2.5K) but i usually tame that with cutting eq at that freq.

i actually liked the sound of the CA2010's a little more, since they went up to 7K and were scooped at 1K, but of the three that you mentioned, i'd go with the S2010.

9. Thanks for the confirm John, Al at US Speaker said same thing... So it's S2010 for the BBT 110s cabinet, and it's to show up at my door Monday (3-8) I'll install right away I'm sure :) and give it a good test drive! Review to follow. I decided to make the woofer bottom cabinet a 12". Al at US Speaker calculated the size for me so I'm in the planning stages now...

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    glad if i could help grooveM.
    its nice to be able to divert a possible speaker choice that has a physical problem before someone else has to go thru it again by eliminating at least one of them from you list. i found the hemp cones actually nice and smooth sounding but a little too dark, unless you use it crossed to a mid driver (and not just a tweeter), so i definitely think that you made the best choice.

11. BassLite S2010 speaker was on my door step when I got home from work installed immediately. First impression - Besides being light as a feather, KILLER TONE!! Handles the gain set level peak of my Eden very well way better than the stock driver. I can hear the effect of the compression way better too, and the Cerwin Vega tweeter sounds better also. Overall very worthwhile upgrade of my BBT 110s cabinet all for around 120.00 tacos!

Looking forward to gettin' the custom 12" woofer cabinet to match completed hopefully by the end of April...

I'm dry on gigs right now where I could use this, where I do play I use the house equipment. Hopefully something will come up and I can follow-up with a gig review soon.

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Thats great to hear!

So you prefer the s2010 to the original?

There was quite a buz a few years ago about guys trying to get those yamaha drivers from eminence. It was also my understanding that they are no lnger available. Are you saying they are, and are 175 each? thats a lot of cake...

Congrats on your upgrade... I know I have been really impressed with that little flyweight driver. Within limits of course.

13. Thanks, and yes within the limits but you get a ton of tone within the limits. I'm looking forward to completing the 12" custom box I am making to match. Basslite S2012 with KSN 1165 tweeter, yes I decided to use a tweet after all since this one is only $33.00 and all you do is connect via the woofer, simple and effective.

14. BTW - Anyone interested in the 10" bass speaker I replaced (4 ohms 250 Watts) just pay for shipping. The cone endured a minor tear which was easily repaired and still sounds fine does not flutter.

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Do not use a tweeter in the extension box. The one in the ten box is all you need, adding another will only cause multipath problems. BTW, $33.95 for a KSN 1165 is absurd. It appears to be from the recently opened Philippines factory that is using the old CTS designs. I tested some of their offerings and they're no better than, and in some cases not as good as, Goldwood branded piezos at 1/10 the price.

16. Wow Bill thank you very much. Well then back to the original idea. I started to think that maybe I would use the single 12" for smaller gigs and add the 10" for large gigs. How about then a switch not a level knob mind you, to turn the tweet on and off.

So you don't reccomend Piezo at all? Please clarify.

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd recommend a compression driver and waveguide myself. Lots of inexpensive stuff out there that will perform better than piezos (unless you use them in bulk and spl match them). You can make piezos perform really well but you need to use the right ones, spl match them, and array them, which is a lot of trouble compared to just buying a quality comp driver and waveguide.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I don't recommend using two cabs both loaded with tweeters.

19. Ok only if Piezo? How about Rheostat switch with compression horn turned off when 12" is used as extension cabinet.

20. Problem solved - At Simply Speakers got CV T-123 horn with crossover & L-pad (dial out the horn when desired) all wired ready to go for $40.00. They added a crossover to the horn for $12.95 but you have to call and ask it's a custom request only, not listed on the site.

I very much appreciate everyone’s prompt input, this site is well worth the price of admission :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020