Opinion: Benavente (Vintage)Vortex or Pedulla Rapture?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panther, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Benavente Vortex or Vintage Vortex

27 vote(s)
  2. Pedulla Rapture

27 vote(s)
  3. Lakland Skyline 55-02D

21 vote(s)
  1. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    For those fortunate to have played or owned either of these, which route would you save $$ towards? I currently use a SR5, and am looking towards a different direction...
  2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    The Bene VV is one SWEET bass.
    I played one at the Nashville guitar show a few years back (a white one if I remember) and it was stinkin' nice.
    I would put it, FWIW, up there with the established "high end Jazz Bass" builders like Sadowsky and such.
  3. Whatever direction you go....keep the Stingray. I just bought a Lakland 55-94D and it's an awesome bass but there's just something bout' that SR5 of mine that I can't let go of......
  4. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    It would be VERY hard to let my SR5 go, that's for sure..... :bassist:
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vintage Vortex or 55-02Dlx.

Although, the 55-02DLX is made in Korea (but assembled & Setup in Chicago), I have to say the quality of this instrument is great. The value from these basses is phenominal. My teacher has a 55-94 and I have the 55-02 deluxe, and aside from a small balance difference (and I'm talking small), there really isn't much of a difference. People can't even use the not-graphite reinfoced neck argument anymore :D . I own two of these 55-02's and I love them. They are my touring workhorses that I'm not afraid to have it played in a dingy bar or a smokey club. Great bass all around, and I don't think you can find a better bass for the price (especially used).

My good Friend Big Joe swears by Benny VV's. He has like 3 of them, but I think he sold one one and is getting one of his others converted to a fretless. And I really trust this guys opinion.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Benavente basses are simply amazing. If they are in your price range, then you can't go wrong with one.

I really hate to compare the 55-02 because it is a totally different price range. In its price range, the 55-02 is one the best basses you can buy. Compared directly with the Benavente, I would pick the Benavente. Of course, this is also dependent on how much money you want to spend.
  7. I love my Benavente!! wouldn't trade it for either one of the other's mentioned.. no matter what kind of cash was involved (unless it was a stupid crazy amount!)
  8. Jmaginnis

Mar 15, 2005
    I'd kill for an SC-D :bassist:
  9. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    A 3 way tie???????
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It simply means you can't go wrong. :D

I broke from the majority and voted for the Rapture. You didn't specify which model you've purchase (Soapbar, P/J, J/J) but for my money the J-2000 J/J can easily hold its own with other high-end Jazz-based basses (Sadowsky, etc...) as well as generate a good amount of personalized sounds. Plus it's extremely lightweight, the necks are works of art, you have your choice of 17.5 or 19mm string spacing depending on your preference, the flame maple tops on the 2000 are some of the nicest I've ever seen, and Pedulla customer service is among the best in the business.
  11. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I never thought about the pickup selections...

Which configuration would be the most versatile??
  12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I think the higher end Pedullas are great basses. The Lakland 55-02 is really a great bass for the money. I wouldn't even think of dishing out the cash for a new US model.

That said, the VV's smoke the Pedulla Raptures when it comes to playablitly, over all quality, and IMO, tone and Benaventes are just a completely different animal than the 55-02's so it's impossible to compare. VV vs. Rapture are both apples although one is macintosh and the other is granny smith. The Lak's are pears.

My vote goes to the Benavente but I'm pretty biased.
  13. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    The SR5 should do fine until you have enough cash for a high end bass ie Lakland or Benavente US made, MTD, NYBW or the like. It is worth the wait IMO. I've spent thousands on mid-level basses that didn't quite do it. Now that I finally have the tone, I'll never go back to mid-level even though they are better than they used to be. IMO.