1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion needed - onboard or outboard pre amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcburn, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Hello everyone. Just copped a mid '90's Yamaha TRB 5 for next to nothing, nearly new. Owner never got around to playing. Bass is incredible but lacks nastiness. I'm sure the pickups are doing their job but I'm definitely thinking about either installing a new preamp (Aggie OBP I reckon) or tinkering with the idea of using something like the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass driver with the EQ section.
    I guess my question is can you use the EQ section of the Sansamp without the distortion if you want to. I do want a bit of grit but not lots of distortion.
    Any opinions appreciated, even different onboard pre's if people have opinions.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you read any of the thousands of threads we have about preamps and Sansamps and such?

3. Yes.

4. I think the Tech 21 pedal u mention is capable of clean sounds.
    I have a VT bass pedal by tech 21 and it does the clean and the distorted.

However, going down that route will lead you to a colored-tone. Which is not a bad thing, depends on your needs.

I'm actually finding myself not using my Tech 21 pedal anymore, simply because I love the sound I'm getting out of my amp. BUT, I always use a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp pedal.

The Sadowsky outboard preamp simply beefs up my sound, lets it sit in the mix better, and is transparent.
    I recommend that you try these more transparent preamps, and try it in a band setting. It sounds like that will fulfill ur needs :)

5. To answer the earlier posts - yes I did search and the posts I found didn't quite answer my questions.
    As for the Sad pre I have heard some excellent things. I think I want a preamp to colour the sound a little, make it a little more aggressive for want of a better term. I know the Aggie preamps do this. I've also used a J-retro before - I think this does what the Sad preamp does. beefs sound but doesn't add any character. Excellent at what they do but I'm after something a little different.
    I just thought that I could get the best of both worlds with the Sansamp Bass Driver - a distortion pedal that I could use on or off but with a useable preamp section. If this wont work however I think I will just change out the preamp in the bass and add a Aguilar OBP-3 pre.

6. Through a lot of trial and error, be it by bass modding or spending waaaaayyy too much time and money on pedals trying to change a basses natural sound;

I've found if your clean sound isn't right - it has to be done with the bass. Either get a diff. bass or mod it.
    Using pedals to do this can work providing they're a "leave-on" pedal, but if the bass doesn't sound like the way you want it to, you'll always be fighting it.

But do some more reading man - don't take my word for it.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Sounds like you want a preamp and an overdrive that work independently. If this is the case, you should probably put in the aggie pre and get an od pedal.