Opinion of Fender P-Bass as First

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChlkDstTtr, Feb 15, 2002.

1. ChlkDstTtr

ChlkDstTtr Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    First of all as a new member I have to say this is a kickin' sight. I like the community, and as a web developer I think the sight has some really cool features. I hope I can become a welcome part of the community

Now to the point of my post.

I'm learning the bass (trying again after close to ten years since my first attempt). I'm looking at buying a bass in the (hopefully) not-to-distant future.

I have my eyes set on a Fender Precision Bass (probably go for the MIM since it's cheaper), and I wanted to know what everyones oppinion of it is. Is it a good bass to start out on?

Thanks for the input.
  2. Welcome to TalkBass.

Hey I finnaly got a "welcome" first.
    I guess it pays to be new here and forced to stand by the door.:D

Fender MIM Is an excelent starter bass in My opinion although it has kind of "Honda" thing going for it, You know good reliable but i would rather have a Porsch.
  3. Identify the type of music you are going to play, and the type of sound you want/need. The P and J have different tones.

I just bought a MIM P to complement my RB5 (J type) cuz I want the P tone for my blues gig.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    You can't go wrong with a Fender Mexi Jazz or a Mexi P-bass. If you decided to mod it any time later there are an abundance of parts and best of all, every bassist/tech knows what it is when you say it. BTW i have a 97 mexi jazz w/flats on it. thats all
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yeah, this is a nice site, isn't it? I certainly enjoy it...

I've had a chance to play quite a few basses this year, several of which I bought. Some were pretty high-end. One was a MIM Fender P.
    I have to say I've enjoyed the boutique stuff immensely. But the MIM P really holds its own.
    It's not nearly the same quality as a Pedulla, Warwick, or F bass, but the MIM P is a blast to play.

It's not at all a bad little bass, I have really had fun gigging with it, & lately I find it's the one I grab first. I'm not getting rid of my other basses, but I think the P would be a great place to start.
    Just play a bunch of them, and find the one that sounds the best to you.
    I think it'd do for just about any style of music.
  6. My first bass was p, basic, easy. Then I got something better than the p, with an EQ, two humbuckers, 3 octave fingerboard, kinda exotic. I went in the store the other day, to look at bass's, I was plannin on gettin a new one in a few months. I looked at the j's for quite a while, and then picked up an American standard P. I got some GAS, and im gettin the bass ( The p) next week. Sweet, warm, makes me feel at home. Go for the P, you wont ever regret it.
  7. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I also started with a MIM P-bass. I now primarily use a Carvin LB75 frettless, but I keep coming back to the Fender when I need that certain sound. Get it. You will never regret it, and unless you get a US made one, you will keep using it even when you get your second bass.(you will get a second bass... just wait, it happens to all):D
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    You can't go wrong with a Precision bass. A rare case of getting someting right the first time.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A cool thing about the P-bass is that it has a medium width neck for a 4-string bass. That way it won't be a huge stretch if you ever decide to play a Jazz-width bass (slimmer neck) or a wider neck (G&L, vintage Precision).
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Welcome to the family, Im sure you'll like it here. COS THERE IS NO ESCAPE

the mim p basses are a pretty good bass for the price. Like most mim's the construction is a little hit and miss, so you have to be a bit more careful when test driving the models. but overall i think the construction on them is more good than bad.

Im not going to comment on the tone, because the p basses tone is'nt for me, and tone is purly a matter of opinion.

If you like the way she sounds and feels then by all means by it. They are over-all a very good bass. especially for a 1st one.

PS: check out a mim dlx jazz too :)
  11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Do what I did and seek out a used American P for the cost of new Mex. I bought a mint 98' American P with a hardshell case for $450. The cheapest you cant find a new Mex is $384 without a case. Add in a case for $80+ dollars and you are over the cost of a good deal on a used American. You will have to invest some time in finding a deal like this but they are out there!!!! I got mine at Atomic Music in College Park Maryland. There are plenty of places on the web (stores) and auctions (ebay) that you can search. I have played many Mex Jazz's and P's and they are inconsistant. Some are rather nice while other plain out suck. I picked up Mex 3 Jazzes the other day at Guitar Center. 1 played great, one played OK, and one was horrible. Good luck!!!!!
  12. will keep using it even when you get your second bass.(you will get a second bass... just wait, it happens to all)

Soooooo true!:p

It is rare in any intrest, hobbie, profession to find a "tool" that will pretty much fit the bill all around. The Fender P does this. I play a 72 American and always go back to it. I even purshased a American J-bass but still find myself grabbing that P. According to my drummer, I'm now as bad as our guitar player; swapping basses between songs. He will pay for that comment...:mad:
  13. You CAN go wrong with a P bass, but it's rare.
  14. ChlkDstTtr

ChlkDstTtr Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Since I'm just starting I don't really have a sound. I have very eclectic tastes, but I'll probably swing more toward a bluegrass-rock sound.

Starting out though I'm not particullaryly interested in a specific sound. I'm more looking toward a bass that is relatively cheap (price not construction), but won't frustrate me because it has such horrible action, or it falls apart in a year.

I've heard good things about the MIM P-Bass that's why I was leaning that way. So far nobody has said anything to persuade me otherwise.

I've been checking out Ebay for used MIM P-Basses and it seems that you can get them for between 175 and 250. I suppose that it's pretty much hit or miss on Ebay though since you don't have a chance to try it first.

Ideally I would like a MIA, but it's hard enough convincing the wife that we can afford a used MIM a little way down the road (she doesn't yet realize how serious I am about it).

Thanks for the welcome.
  15. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    One of the best qualities of the p-bass (at least IMHO) is the simplicity of design. As a beginner, your first priority should be in learning how to play and not worrying about how to tweak the onboard electronics. The p-bass keeps it simple and helps you become a better player. (And when it comes down to it, you'd be surprised how versatile the p-bass actually is.)

In any event, welcome to our twisted little world.

16. ChlkDstTtr

ChlkDstTtr Guest

Feb 15, 2002
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    Thats exactly what I'm going for.

And besides anything would be better than I'm learning on now. A six string acoustic guitar (shudder:( )
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Welcome aboard! :D

Yes, the P is a good starter bass, as is the J (my personal preferance). Good solid tone, easy to deal with (not too many knobs). Like MAMA CASS said, quality on the MIM's can be spotty, so test drive a few before you buy (or get a trusted friend to do it if you're not sure).
  18. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    My Sunburst MIM P was actually my third bass. I learned on an Epiphone P-Bass Copy that had a crappy neck and horrible electronics, then I purchased a Dead Edge Q4. When I started having problems w/ the input jack and the battery running down too quick I decided I needed a good passive backup axe. So I found a great MIM P, actually it was the first one I played and the quality was great. This was last July when I bought this and I'm actually trying to sell my Dean now. I reallized that I'm a classic kinda guy and I love that P tone and it's a lot simpler than the Dean.

Those Civics on Fast and the Furious with aftermarket parts could go a hell of a lot faster than a Porsch.
  19. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I picked up Mex 3 Jazzes the other day at Guitar Center. 1 played great, one played OK, and one was horrible. Good luck!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you refering to the workmanship of each instrument or the way each was set up? I think just any bass plays well when set up properly.
  20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Are you refering to the workmanship of each instrument or the way each was set up? I think just any bass plays well when set up properly. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was referring to the setup. The one the was setup especially poorly I told the guy about. He took it while I tried the others. When he came back he said that the tech messed with it and it should be better. It still played like sh!t. As far as the craftmanship, the MIM's are fairly good, but they ain't there compared to a MIA that's for damn sure. Just MHO.