Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion of this G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
  2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    G&Ls are awesome basses but it's not that close to a Wal. My Wals were a cross between a G&L and an Alembic, so there's some similarities but the Wal can do a lot that are different. On the other hand, the G&L can do things the Wal can't. The L-2000/ASAT pickups and controls are one of the most flexible tone machines out there, lots of useful tones.

The ASAT is not my favorite G&L bass, the short body makes it tend to neck-dive and the reach for the first position is noticeably longer. Also I don't like the lack of a forearm contour on the lower bout. Just my thing though, lots of people love ASAT basses. I just figure why bother when the exact same pickups and controls are available in the L-2000.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks nice, pretty good price as well.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im also curious ofwhat kind of basses can get close to a wal tone... I know ebmm bongos can do a LOT of things, and they can get a near wal tone..wondering what else.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I swear that I have heard that a certain Dean model gets close. I think its the Hammer...on their site it has two humbuckers on it. I also heard of the Bongo as well.

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I actually prefer the ASATs. Mine has quickly become my #1 bass. I dig the tele style because it's a refreshing change from the double horn standard. There's a little neck dive but it's never bothered me that much..but then again I own a Thunderbird too. You just get used to it. Get a wide leather strap & you'll have minimal problems.

An extremely well built & versatile bass at a fair price.