opinion of this jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005

I am considering pulling the trigger on this bass. I have gone through several phases of jazz style and now i am really digging this one. What do you guys think, worth it for the $800, also what do you think of the color and pickguard combo. My girlfriend says the colored headstock makes it look cheesy, personally i kind of like it. Is it cheesy?
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The matching headstock is what makes it look good. I like the shade of that particular tort guard too. Why not?
  3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I love it. I think it looks great. It is a bit heavy though at almost 10lbs.

Let us know if you get it.
  4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  5. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    ive wondered. do block inlays affect tone? because people always talk about fingerboard affecting the tone (which i don't beleieve has ANY affect on fretted basses, only fretless).
  6. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I think it looks awesome..

One thing that maybe some Fender buffs can answer...

Why do I see so many of those Jazz's with the thumb rest on the bottom?

What was the purpose?
  7. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

Sweet bass by the way!
  8. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    looks nice!!!

check out how much it weights.... i tryed a couple MIJ jazzes that were VERY light and neither sounded good....
  9. That's not a one piece maple neck...:ninja:
  10. It was used as a tug bar back when it was more common for bassists to use their thumb for plucking

it has no real purpose with modern finger playing, its there for the look
  11. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's a really good looking bass. The tort guard looks great on there.

I wouldn't think so for a fretted bass. For a fretless, inlays might affect tone, but I have no experience with this.

It's a finger hold. It would be used to anchor your fingers if you play with your thumb.
  12. 91hondast1100

Jul 19, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  13. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Nice looking bass. Interesting colour with the tortoise pickguard.
  14. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Nice color, and the tort gaurd does seem to work with it. Besides the weight, also note the neck width of 1 11/16" (like a B+).
  15. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I think it looks great. Fire away!
  16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That color is not for me, and I don't like 3 bolt necks… but if YOU like it and have no fear of 3 bolt necks, then go for it… it looks like I'm in the minority here - seems most like the looks.
  17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I'm a n00bie. What's that metal cover going over the strings and what is it used for?
  18. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    it is a pickup cover. It is purely aesthetic i believe, but once i heard it was to help shield the basses.
  19. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    HOLD ON !! At that price for a used one you should check out what these sites offer and then get a quote from Ishibashi reguardless of where you saw it. They will have the best price on any of the CIJ Japan market basses. After the bid price and shipping charge on that ebay bass you could have got a new one shipped from Japan.Be sure to click the Kanda link on the Ishibashi site for a bunch more.http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli...er-j/kanda/left-index.htm&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
  20. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004