1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

opinion on a German bass, thnx.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by basstef, Mar 21, 2006.

1. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    Hi everybody,

...I've been considering this instrument for quite a long time, but never had the heart to go trying it and start the process for a possible purchase...as you may imagine, this is because of the crack over the bass bar...The bass has also been completely revarnished. Looks like a late 1800 Neuner&Hornsteiner, or at least a good German bass.
    It may seem a nonsense that I talk about this bass and have not even heard the sound, but since the bass is in Germany, I have been very undecided on what to do...
    Request is 11.000 euros
    What would you guys do? Stay away from such a purchase? Go there and give it a try? Do you think it's possible to do some intervent on that big crack?

Thanks everybody in advance,
    Stef

Attached Files:

2. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    some more pics...

Attached Files:

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The price for that Bass seems to be about 1/2 of what it would be normally if the Varnish was original and the crack maybe was not as noticable. Many many old Basses have Bassbar cracks. It is very common. Scramelli in Italy has a list of used Basses for sale. Maybe you can find one without going to Germany. I also have had conversations with the guy selling the Bass pictured above and seems to be an 'ok' guy. If you like the Bass, the price might be lowered if you discuss it with him. You must play a Bass to really know if you want it. I too have been excited by pics but less excited or even more after playing the actual Bass.

Make the trip if you can. He has several other Basses as well that may warm you ears.

4. I , as per usual, agree with Kenny Boy! Crack ain't no big deal if the Luthier knew what he or her was doing.
    I had a short affair with a Neuner and Hornsteiner a few years ago. This, of course, looks similar, except where the neck joins the block.
    I'd go and give it a shot since Ken says there are other basses to slobber over.
    The one I knew, was on the small side as opposed to many of those Mittenwald giants like Kloz. Klotz...these guys all had many spellings for their names.
    Let us know. Good luck.

5. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    thanks Ken and Paul for your posts. I will let you know what I decide but it may take some more time :)
    The thing is I am not in a hurry to get a bass. I already have two beautiful and very good sounding ones. But I am strongly fascinated by that German one...I'll make the trip when I can in the near future.