opinion on album cover?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I wanted to get yalls opinion on this logo i made for the next album.
    Do you think it could possibly capture peoples attention.. at a record store? if someone helps ill list talkbass.com as covor art..
    i made one though. Could yall tell me what yall think?
    The albums called "Vinyl collection" its coming out probably late spring/early summer.. Today was the first day back in the studio recording a surf rock instrumental .. simple entitled "surf song"
    so could i get some opinions?
    thanks yall
  2. you can hardly see the picture.
  3. Hi Nick, this might sound harsh, but I basically couldn't find anything good about it ...
    From that cover I'd expect the target-audience to be residents of a hill-billie-old-folks-home.
    It really looks like a cover for a band of REAL grandpa's.
    The only way it grabbed my attention, was how much it sucked ...
    Sorry for being so blunt Nick, but hey, it's just the opinion of some loony, right ?:)

Maybe you could use a photo of a catwalk full of gorgeous babes (always good for attention-grabbing) dressed in vinyl clothes. They are displaying the vinyl collection, get it ?:D (just f**king a bit ... euh, I mean being a bit creative with the title)
    At least a cover like that would make it clear that you're not a bunch of old farts with instruments mounted on their walking-frames.:)
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey dude.. its cool.. i wanted honesty too so thumbs up to you.. and DHC..
    I am working on it..Its called Vinyl Collection..as in being a half covors album ..half original..some of my favorite songs from my record collection.. redone by my band. I have bassicly 8 months to get covor art.. and i know alot of my ideas are gonna suck...
    My last album was "the disembowled ashes of Jerry Garcia".. it had Jerry Garcias head coming out of a Tie Die Urn... that was the album art and alot of people liked it.. i think.
    Ive made 500(5 bucks a copy) bucks overall from record sales though through the past 4 months. But thanks for your output.. Im working on it.. my cameras battery is dead.. thats why you couldn't see it..
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I also don't see anything special

keep working
  6. go to images.google.com and you can probably find a passable shot of a turntable.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I concur with these guys. I might scratch this idea and keep working.
  8. Nick, that image is very faint, you can hardly tell it's a turntable.

Mr. Looney is 100% correct IMHO, Sex sells.

You don't have to put a semi-naked woman on the cover, but, a pretty face will always get people to stop and look at it.

Foxy Grandpas?

Maybe a photo of some old geezers sitting and chewing the fat in front of a country gas station, while a pretty young thing (in a short skirt?) gets a bottle of Coke out of a soda machine?

Just an idea. People like to look at photos of people.

Good luck.
    Mike J.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'VE GOT IT, put a old man's head on a sexy woman's body...

genius... sheer genius.
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

wow you are getting smarter everyday, I applaud :)
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's been done - see Aphex Twin.
  12. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    ive been working on it.. a bit.. ehh i worked with Iphoto plus a bit.. and came up with this..
    I defaced the Beatles, Hey Jude 45 that i found a picture of ... its a blue apple with the foxy grandpas logo and then.. all that. its clear as day though..
    thanks for yalls suggestions..
    is this any improvement though?
    btw.. foxy grandpas = a GG Allin styled Garage Band.. But really.. theres no real sound.. we did a Reggea Track on the last album.. All acoustic.. a Blues Track with a Harmonica... mostly hardcore stuff. But i dont like to think of it.. as just a Hardcore band. This next album is gonna be alot softer.. the songs will be longer.. more bass solos.. more guitar solos..
    Last album i did do a covor of blackbird ..Jaco style =D

...Im gonna do that when we have live shows... wheres my ductape??
  13. yeah, if originality is a concern, idea 1 is out the window.
  14. Nick, this one is much better than the first one.

I still say some booty thrown in wouldn't hurt though. :D

Mike J.
  15. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey maybe i could get a capture from the sir mixalot video .. baby got back.. you know the part where the plastic little rump is sitting on top of the labeled part of the vinyl..YES thanks Mike ..you rock sir mix alots socks..:D
  16. Hmmm, it's not quite a succes, but it does suck less.
    The vinyl-apple thing has also been done before :
  17. bigoilyguy

Oct 30, 2002
    butler pa
    you should put like a grandpa holding a record thatd be slick.
  18. NICK! you should put ME on teh cover! hahaha...i'll wear vinyl....lmao.....
  19. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hey shoonk! yeah!! hahahaha
    I actually got another idea my manager Albert gave me..
    He said.. well.. There is a couple guys who might wanna play on your album.. so.. we talked.. we might start a band.. do the album as another name... half the songs as originals and some covors and then.. the other half is.. FOXY GRANDPAS.. ACOUSTIC!! DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL STYLE!!!! MUHHAHAHA
    cant some of you picture? "im gonna be your grandpa acoustic" hehehe..