Opinion on an amp budget ($600-$750)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sawgydawg, Aug 4, 2009.

1. sawgydawg

sawgydawg

Aug 4, 2009
    Hey guys, I'm riding on a budget of around 600-750 and I'm planning on buying a new set-up. I would like to get a 4x10 cab and something to power it. I've looked into the Ashdown Mag 300 and the Mag 410. I wouldn't even be looking into any of this had my GK not fallen apart. Thx!

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    well honestly, id say buy a GOOD used ashdown ABM 500 and cabinet.. i did and could be happier!!.. plus theres a good bit sonic difference between the two.

3. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    What happened to the GK? could you try contacting GK?

And why not not try a GK combo, like their NEO combos?

4. Buy used..

I've bought tons of stadium power stuff for under $500.

Opinion - consider rackmount for flexilbity... or micro for portability.

IF you're gigging .. get a good DIl.

5. the Mag 410 cab is garbage

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Any reason why you want a 4x10?

I'd look at a Peavey Tour 4x10 and a Tour 450, and get them to score you a deal the pair.

7. sawgydawg

sawgydawg

Aug 4, 2009
    thanks for all the responses.

totallybacan-The extended warrenty never came after I baught it from guitar center, and I've had it for over 2 years, so they really couldn't do anything. All it is, is the input piece inside the amp shattered, but I'm looking on the market for something with more power anyways. In other words i'm a complete noob when it comes to anything about amps.

8. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    you could just get the input jack fixed...

9. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    I'd get the jack fixed, and then if you still want more power, SELL it and put the proceeds into a newer one :

Which GK amp are you using anyway?

10. sawgydawg

sawgydawg

Aug 4, 2009
    backline 210 combo amp. I mean the GK isn't the problem here. I've actually played the last few gigs using tape and it works fine as long as I'm not moving around too crazy. I would just like to have a different amp. Would the cab on my combo work well if I used a different head, say that peavy tour 450 that rpsands was talking about? that would give me time to save up for something better in the cab department. my worries is if i'm going to blow something because ohms...watts.. it goes over my head.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Uhhhh no it's not. It's a good cab. I actually regret selling mine.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The backline 210 would work fine. The cab is basically a backline 210 cabinet which you can buy separately.

You'd just need to work out the input jack situation, pretty sure the backline has a jack that goes right to the back of the internal amp, and is fairly short.

If you're gonna get a head and then wait on a cab I'd get something better than a Tour 450 - it's good enough for a 4x10 and pretty loud, but doesn't give you a lot of room to grow.

If you're just buyin a head I'd suggest a Carvin BX1200 potentially. Run one side of it into your combo's cabinet and then upgrade cabinets later. Be sure to take it easy on the poor little cab :)

Other good choices: Bx600, Peavey Tour 700, GK 700 RB II from RMC audio, Genz Shuttle 6.0, Markbass LMII, etc.

Should shoot to spend about 400-500 bucks on a good quality head that'll last you a long while.

13. relbling

relbling

Jul 6, 2009
    Costa Mesa, CA
  14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Carvin is using really junk speakers from the TS parameters posted by folks corresponding with their support. I would take a pass on their cabs no matter how good a few people think they sound.

The amps are a great value for sure.

15. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    +10000 on buying used.

You can't go wrong with an Avatar 4x10 if you really want something new

16. sawgydawg

sawgydawg

Aug 4, 2009
    I got the BL210 fixed; still thinking of getting a peavy tour 450 and an avatar 4x10 and trying to sell the bl210.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021