Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion on Big Block P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by merdenoms2590, Sep 28, 2005.

1. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    Whats people's view's and opinion's on Big Block P Bass by Fender? Does any body have one? If so any pics? How do they play and sound?

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    my opinion:

no split coil pu = not a P-bass

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow that means the original P bas was not a P bass either! It has a single coil.

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I like the looks of it, but someone here bought one and ended up returning it because they didn't like the sound. But the next day I read someone elses opinion on it, and they loved it.

I personally would like to own one, but I wouldn't buy it thinking I were buying a P-bass (sound), if that makes any sense...

5. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    ok thanks, but does anybody have any pics or personal playability with it? cause i'm lookin into Fender Big Block or a Music Man Sub bass and i would like to learn more about the Big Block

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That makes perfect sense. The pickup isn't in the right location to get good P-bass tone. So if you're looking for P-bass tone, look elsewhere.

The Big Block will likely be growlier and get better harmonics... perhaps a bit like a Stingray. I suspect that's the market Fender's going for.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    +1

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I'm curious about the big block too. For me the key is in the preamp and pickups. Is the sound scooped like a stingray or does it boost mids along with highs and lows? Is it growly or aggressive or both? Does it have sufficient low end for an old school sound? Who is "legendary electronics guru Michael Frank-Braun"?

Has anyone heard or played one?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My local store has one, i never bothered to play it yet.

10. Where is this store?

Can I have the address, please?

11. It's actually a passive instrument, from what I have read, and it supposedly does have a 'Ray-like sound. I'll hafta mosey on over to GC & see if I can play one & report more.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, it has a preamp. Stacked bass/treble control

13. Kosmo

Kosmo

Oct 24, 2005
    South East England
    I understand they're trying to compete with the Stingray, but God, couldn't they have at least given it some better looks?

It's just so bland

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have to agree with the 'bland' description. Still, it would look really nice if you could put a '51 P-bass pickguard on it....