Opinion On Boss ODB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Players, what is your opinion about the ODB-3 box?
  2. i approve, it can give you quite a range without crapping out with the low notes. a good distortion, decent overdrive, and its pretty cool too. very durable
  3. good heavy distortion. terrible overdrive. dont recommend.
  4. Cheesy Sound & the 'Bypass' Sucks Tone.
    Makes a good Chock Block when changing a tire.
  5. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    It is a great entry level distortion, It has good control over your sound but the sound isn't as good as alot of the better stuff out there. I have one right now on my effects board, but I almost never use distortion. I think I would look to fulltone or something else if I wanted better distortion for more money.

6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I hated mine. terrible distrotion sound (makes you get lost in the mix). real buzzy. Would be Ok for Industrial music, but not very warm. It is defiantely a distortion pedal and not an overdrive.
    I sold it and am waiting for my Fulltone bassdrive to get here.

7. Had a DOD fx92... swapped it for ODB-3.. improvement.. then swapped ODB-3 for EBS multidrive.. BIG improvement
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I had one, but sold it as it wasn't the sound I was after.

It sounded fine, but it's definitely a fuzzy distortion sound, not like a slightly overdriven tube sound.

If you use cabs with tweeters it can sound fizzy, you wouldn't notice this otherwise.

I would disagree with the statement about the bypass sucking tone, your mileage may vary.
  9. I use mine for playing beastie boy's sabotage and the intro to my name is mud. It's definetly more distortion than overdrive, but that's what I want. I just use my hands and ampeg if I want to distort the tone a bit.
  10. I own one of these, and the overdrive isn't good at all. The distortion does accomodation the lower frequencies, but it has more of a grunge sound. I've recorded with it and found myself lost in the mix. I'd recommend you go for something better.
  11. More of a distortion than an overdrive. If you are looking for a RATM overdrive then this isn't it. Except for the heaviest of the songs don't bother with the rest. It has it's place. If I wasn't afraid of my parent's wrath I would trade it for a more RATM sounding pedal. That and I'm pretty lazy.
  12. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    it's a fuzz/distortion, not an overdrive. very harsh and buzzy....i prefer the ibanez paht hed (i would love a fulltone, but i live in the UK)

i never use mine any more.

13. Here's your UK Fulltone Dealer:

Peach ideas, Sales & Marketing
    15 Blake House Craft Center
    Blake End, Braintree
    Essex, CM7 8SH UK
    web peachideas.co.uk
  14. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    thanks for the info - i just need to try one out now......