1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinion On Boss ODB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bgavin, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Players, what is your opinion about the ODB-3 box?

2. i approve, it can give you quite a range without crapping out with the low notes. a good distortion, decent overdrive, and its pretty cool too. very durable

3. good heavy distortion. terrible overdrive. dont recommend.

4. Cheesy Sound & the 'Bypass' Sucks Tone.
    Makes a good Chock Block when changing a tire.

5. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    It is a great entry level distortion, It has good control over your sound but the sound isn't as good as alot of the better stuff out there. I have one right now on my effects board, but I almost never use distortion. I think I would look to fulltone or something else if I wanted better distortion for more money.

cam

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I hated mine. terrible distrotion sound (makes you get lost in the mix). real buzzy. Would be Ok for Industrial music, but not very warm. It is defiantely a distortion pedal and not an overdrive.
    I sold it and am waiting for my Fulltone bassdrive to get here.

-KB

7. Had a DOD fx92... swapped it for ODB-3.. improvement.. then swapped ODB-3 for EBS multidrive.. BIG improvement

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I had one, but sold it as it wasn't the sound I was after.

It sounded fine, but it's definitely a fuzzy distortion sound, not like a slightly overdriven tube sound.

If you use cabs with tweeters it can sound fizzy, you wouldn't notice this otherwise.

I would disagree with the statement about the bypass sucking tone, your mileage may vary.

9. I use mine for playing beastie boy's sabotage and the intro to my name is mud. It's definetly more distortion than overdrive, but that's what I want. I just use my hands and ampeg if I want to distort the tone a bit.

10. I own one of these, and the overdrive isn't good at all. The distortion does accomodation the lower frequencies, but it has more of a grunge sound. I've recorded with it and found myself lost in the mix. I'd recommend you go for something better.

11. More of a distortion than an overdrive. If you are looking for a RATM overdrive then this isn't it. Except for the heaviest of the songs don't bother with the rest. It has it's place. If I wasn't afraid of my parent's wrath I would trade it for a more RATM sounding pedal. That and I'm pretty lazy.

12. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    it's a fuzz/distortion, not an overdrive. very harsh and buzzy....i prefer the ibanez paht hed (i would love a fulltone, but i live in the UK)

i never use mine any more.

13. Here's your UK Fulltone Dealer:

UK

Peach ideas, Sales & Marketing
    15 Blake House Craft Center
    Blake End, Braintree
    Essex, CM7 8SH UK
    01376-553675
    web peachideas.co.uk
    peachidea@aol.com

14. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    thanks for the info - i just need to try one out now......