Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion on Conklin Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey all. I'm still currently looking for my next bass, to see how much I have to save up. Anyway, I want to buy a Conklin, I just wanted your opinions on these and if this setup would sound good or not:

Sidewinder Body Ash/Quilted Maple Top
    4 String
    28 fret
    35" scale
    Bolt-on style neck
    Purpleheart fingerboard
    Maple/Bubinga neck wood
    Centered dot inlays
    On/Off Switch
    Active Preamp and Full EQ
    Active/Passive switch
    Exotic wood headstock overlay (just for looks, eh?)
    Bart pu's.

How does that sound? Do you guys have any +/- opinions on these basses? Thanks

2. My personal opinion is that 4 string Conklin Sidewiders look a little weird, due to the fact that usually they are extended range instruments and thus the bodies (to me) look better with a wider neck (6, 7, 8, ...).

From what I hear they are amongst the best basses, though I don't recall ever hearing of anyone owning a 4 string version.

I assume from the options you have described that you are looking at the Custom Shop line. You may want to also take a look at the New Century Series. You could probably get a very similar bass for about $1500 less than the Custom Shop model will cost. The reason I mainly suggest this is that you aren't really getting any crazy options, with the possible exception of the 28 fret neck.

Just a thought...I'm sure JT will post some good advice later.:)

Geoff

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sounds similar to the Groove Tools line they have. Many of the features you listed are on them and they're much cheaper than the "full-blown" Conk's. Just something to consider. John Turner is the resident expert on Conk's... PM him with any questions you may have... Im sure he can help.

Best

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Aren't you a little young to be buying a Conklin Custom Shop model?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Who cares about age if the money is there?

6. Why? I bought my first high end bass when I was 18.

<-- It's right there!!

Geoff

7. couldn't agree more :)

and i intend to have an SEI Jazz 5 (or something silmilar) :) by the time i'm 20 at least (next june)

*Si*

8. .

personally I say get a Vadim, but...

ahha if you ARE going to get a Conklin, then I suggest getting an Australian Lacewood front, quilted is nice, but i like lacewood better... but thats my opinion... sorry... but also, what colours are you getting?

That would be a good idea

:D

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    As for the color, I want it to be silver sparkle or maybe like a deep deep blue with lightning bolts (anyone know the real name for it?) like, they would run the full length and not just part of it. Front and back too! I dunno. THanks for all the inputs, I'll check out those others ASAP
    Thanks Fellow TB'ers
    Ray

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That post was in response to BasSR205DX's post about kcdbass looking pretty young to be using a Sadowsky, here.

Just keeping 'em honest.;)

11. Sorry embellisher, give the wink next time.;):D

Geoff

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd just make sure the money is well spend. 85? You're 16, right? Unless you have INSANE amounts of money, through work, parents, inhereitance or what have you, I'd get a nice bass (maybe 800-1000) and or/ an amp, and then set the rest aside for a car or something, trust me, it's fun speculating, even buying, but the lack of money shortly after isn't worth it.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Jumping from an Ibanez SR305 and a Squire P-bass to a Custom Shop Conklin?? And you're gonna play it through your 50 watt Peavey amp??

Well, if you can afford it, go for it. Do you have any idea what these things start at as far as pricing??

And, seriously, I would consider an amp upgrade and a somewhat cheaper bass than spending thousands on a custom Conklin, and still being left with a small amp and no money left over for the upgrade.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey man. We've talked about this online a good bit. Actually we've talked about you getting a new amp. what happened to that???

anyway, Conklin custom shop basses are going to set you back a good bit, a few grand. Worth the money IMO, JT will stand by them. but maybe you should look at th GT basses, they look pretty good and sound great.

but hey whatever floats your boat. :)

15. I have to agree with you on that one Brendan. Being 18 myself like you, i know what it's like spending a lot of money and then having nothing left. Then again, i guess i'm really in no position to talk. I just spent a lot of money on a new Aguilar rig and i'm about to send in my deposit to Dave Pushic for him to build me a bass. Although, i am selling another bass and adding a little of money for the DP in addition to what i sell my bass for, so it's more like blowing a lot of cash on a rig. :D :(

16. Conklin Basses are definately incredible pieces. But i definately think that you should put some of that money towards a new amp, and then either look at getting a Groove Tools bass, or even having Dave Pushic custom build you your bass.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I would go out and scrimp and save, but my folks'll pay for everything if I make my own bass. Something about aquiring a skill/trade or something, :p

having money is often much better than having a bass.

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If I were looking for a 4-string Conklin, I'd look hard at the Rocco Prestia model...

19. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    SoCal
    Two thumbs up for the Groove Tool series! Just played a GT-5 at guitar center the other day (notice I didn't capitalize 'guitar center' or idolize it in any way shape or form), that was listed for 650 bucks,, and it was sweet! Low action, Punchy B string, 5 piece wenge/purpleheart neck and Bartolini humbuckers with a 3 band eq and coil splitter!

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    warning:long :D
    I gotta say for a 4 string, look at the groove tools & the new century basses-i forget what the base on a 4 is but i know it's higher than i want to spend. I'm most likely younger than you-i'm 15 [16 in june] & i forget who said it, probably was over in amps or somethin alone the lines of-if the amp isn't up to snuff the bass won't sound as good as if it was through a better amp. That being said i own a BassMan 200-not the best amp in the world, but loud enough to play all the places i forsee in high school [played an outdoor fair, auditorium w/showchior as the only sub & that sorta place] & am planning right now to get either a GT7 or a DP Custom 7-tryin out the GTs to see if my hand is big enough to play a 7 of any sort then with whatever if any money is left over either get a junker truck/suv/car or start a savings for a rig. Moral of that long post: Look at all your options before committing to buying one-nothing against conklin but for our age unless if you really want to drop over 2k on a bass before exploring all the options [not saying you haven't] it might turn out to backfire. thats all Best of Luck/Wishes