1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion on creating a Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by max8899, Nov 11, 2010.

1. So I am considering constructing my own bass 4x10 cabinet. Will this be cost effective, will I able to achieve a good sound?
    I would love to hear general comments about doing this, I have access to all the necessary tools so that is not an issue.

2. J3G2

J3G2

Sep 24, 2010
    I would also like to do this. Sorry, a pointless post.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The current fashion these days in bass speakers is to declare that 4x10 cabs are an unproper design and shouldn't be used anyway. It may change next week though so don't sweat it.
    If you have decent tools, a bit of patience and do your homework right, it is not very difficult to make a decent cab.

4. I don't think it would be cost effective. There are many offerings in the market that can be purchased for much less than it would cost to build one cab.

5. Prepare yourself for an onslaught of people telling you its a terrible idea.
    I've played on a DIY version of an Eden 410XLT it sounded just as good as the real deal if not a little better.

6. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well if you have enough money, ALOT of patience and do your homework on total layout. I would say have fun and good luck. You may want to research what shape, type of speakers and speaker layout that can get you the best range of frequencies and tones, it may not be the 4-10, it may be a 2-15 or a 1-15" + 1-10" +1-6" + horn. (just an example)

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. You can't build one for what you can buy one for. DIY cabs are only cost effective when you intend to build a labor intensive hi-tech design that you can't get commercially for less than you can build one for.

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I think you've missed the point in the discussions of standard 410 cabinets and line array 410 cabinets.
    What I've gleaned from what has been said is the standard design is good, just that "if" you go vertical you can achieve a few advantages over the standard 410.
    Fashion??? I'd say the proof is in the science and facts.
    I'm sure your right...don't sweat it, cause I'm sure there's someone that already has a 410 design that will out perform the standard 410 configuration and the vertical.

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    If you've never designed or built a cab before, I would suggest you try one of the proven designs (Bill Fitzmaurice Jack, Greenboy's fEARful) first, learn from the process, and decide what your goal is in changing the build. You will need to study cabinet design and how to model cabs with something like WinISD.
    If it must be a 410, there are numerous plans on the web to be downloaded, especially from driver manufacturers such as EV, Beyma, Faital, etc. Try a known design first.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Actually, the current fashion these days is to avoid discussing technical or scientific matters in the Amps forum. :rollno:

11. DO IT. although I doubt "cost-effective", it will at the very least be fun, and if you plan it out and do it right, it'll probably turn out great. Just be sure to use PLYWOOD and not particle board/MDF, preferable hardwood or Birch plywood (void free if you really wanna splurge). Plywood is lighter, stronger, and more resistant to wear and tear/moisture than MDF/particle board. Apparently it produces "better tone", I don't know this for a fact, but I think the lightness as well as durability is excuse enough for the extra cost.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Actually, the current fashion is not actually play the amps people discuss in the Amps forum. :rollno: Much less have these amps and cabs actually hitting the mixing board with your FOH signal. So you're really just wasting your time on discussing technical and scientific matters about monitors. WTG.

13. xchristopherx

xchristopherx

Mar 22, 2008
    I built a 6x12 with some friends. Lots of fun, but not very cost effective. And it was a good deal of work. Honestly doing your homework is the best advice I can give you. Good luck man!