Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinion on EBS TD 650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Jan 14, 2003.

1. I've been using the EBS TD 650 with my band since christmas and just wanted to let everybody looking for a new amp know that they should seriously consider the TD650. I can get a ton of different sounds out of it with the eq. The tone is pretty sweet with the tube engaged. I use a carvin and a pick most of the time and I get plenty of growl and attack with the drive and compressor turned up about 2/5th's of the way up (I play metal so I want the growl and attack). But I could use the amp for virtually any type of music by adjusting the settings. As far as construction, I could probably throw this thing of a building. I'm going into the studio in a week and I can't wait to hear this thing recorded. Sorry to sound like such an advertisement but I'm just really pleased with this amp and I thought more people should be made aware of the quality and versatility of this head. The only problem is finding one to test out in your area.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's pretty much how I feel every time I play my Fafner.:D EBS makes some incredible stuff, huh?;)

3. I really want one of those TD650's or a Fafner, but I lack the money

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Yes they do;)
    Everytime i play mines it leaves me speechless:D

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Is the EBS TD650 be a good amp for a clear, modern, high definition Hi-fi sound as well as the balls out rock growl?? Would it be good for blues, funky R&B and Garden Jazz? Or is this more of a balls out rock amp? I realize Marcus Miller is endorsing EBS, but he uses the HD350 I believe? I was told that if you're into slap, EBS is great, but for an all-around amp, I might want to look at other options. Opinions vary, so I continue to seek the wisdom and experience of fellow TB members.

I welcome your thoughts about the versatility of crystal clear tone with hi definition presence of the TD650 for more comtemporaty music, jazz and R&B with a funk/slap hi definition fingerstyle groove. I'll be mating the amp to a Bergantino 322. Thanks!

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, in the US, EBS seems to target more jazz players, while in Europe, EBS seems to target rock and heavy metal.

EBS' amps (the Fafner, HD350, and TD 620) are more hi-fi, more transparent than a lot of brands. I've played several basses through my Fafner and through Dan Lenard's (of Luthier's Access Group fame) Glockenklang amps. Both EBS and Glock have a certain tonal characteristic (or lack of tone) that seem to allow the bass to sound like the bass, not the amp. One of the nice things about EBS is that it also lets you dial in a VERY large range in the eq section, as well as a tube section for some good warmth.

And, according to a guy from EBS, the HD 350 has the same preamp as the TD 620. I've played the HD 350, and found it to be no less than wonderful!:D

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've got to hang with RAM, here. I just got a Fafner and I'm literally blown away, tonally and sonically, by this little amp.

It's very easy to EQ this thing to about anything you'd want. This amp is a keeper and will probably replace my WT-800.

8. 12top

12top

Nov 20, 2002
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Roscoe5
    Is the EBS TD650 be a good amp for a clear, modern, high definition Hi-fi sound as well as the balls out rock growl?? Would it be good for blues, funky R&B and Garden Jazz? Or is this more of a balls out rock amp? I realize Marcus Miller is endorsing EBS, but he uses the HD350 I believe? I was told that if you're into slap, EBS is great, but for an all-around amp, I might want to look at other options. Opinions vary, so I continue to seek the wisdom and experience of fellow TB members.

I welcome your thoughts about the versatility of crystal clear tone with hi definition presence of the TD650 for more comtemporaty music, jazz and R&B with a funk/slap hi definition fingerstyle groove. I'll be mating the amp to a Bergantino 322. Thanks!

I just wanted to ad that I just started using the EBS HD350 and the Bergie112 and its a great setup. It puts a smile on your face every time I use it. I'm using an R Bass with a HazLab preamp 3 band EQ and the clarity and definition that come out of the cabinet is incredible. Also as was stated in an earlier post I think your bass electronics plays a big part of shaping your sound with this amp.

Ralph

9. I have to agree with you 12top, I use both a carvin with active electronics and a Kramer with my TD650 and I can totally change the sound with the active electronic knobs on the carvin, and not even bother with the amp eq too much. My only complaint is that I can't settle on one sound that I like best, I have too many options:D