1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinion on floorboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nathan, Apr 18, 2006.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I just bought a Boss GT-6B. I recently posted about it asking what people thought of it, because i was thinking about getting one. I got one. Guitar Centre is letting me try it for 30 days.
    It's got so many effects on it, plus tons of stuff i haven't gotten into yet. I could spend weeks sitting down with this and never figure everything out.

The problem is though, that i find myself using only the clean effects and preamp simulaters it has on it. They sound great, but i'm wondering if spending $400 on a multi-effects processor for only clean effect sounds is really worth it.

Does anybody know what i mean? If the clean amp effects sound good but i don't use most of the other effects, is it worth keeping?

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    in my humble opinion.... not worth keeping. (and i work at guitar center, and may very well be the guy you bring it back on.... but whatever.)
    i know what you mean, for sure. i was struggling with the same issue a while back... and i went (and am still going) the single stomp box route.
    i'd say: get yourself a good amp if you don't already have one, and something like a tech 21 bass driver di or an mxr m-80. start with that, and build up. you'll have a clean (or gritty) sound you love, which is more important in bass playing than all those wacky sounds. also, with individual stomp boxes, you can really pick and choose the quality and style of those wacky sounds, and find the ones that suit your style best without having to take boss's word for it.
    on the other hand: that gt6b has everything on it already. and it'll be less noisy. and it'll be less to carry around.
    i say, go with your gut. play with it for a while, and if you're happy then so be it! cheers! but if you've got that nagging feeling... do a little research, and really decide on one great sound that you can build on.
    *isn't our 30-day satisfaction policy great?*

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    and...rock on, mang!

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Twiddle with it some. I own one too, and I like using the FX and hate using the modeling. I can get some awesome sounds out of that thing, rivaling single FX if you tinker with it enough. Main things I love above single FX is the expression pedal for any aspect of the FX and the presets are a lot easier to deal with live than a dance on a pedalboard.