Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinion on gk mbx-112 bass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i am probably going to buy two gk mbx-112 bass cabs and use my swr st-220 as the head. My question is can these cabs generate enough low-end? I play classic rock in a cover band so i dont require a ton of low-end but enough to be adequate.

i am strongly thinking of going with this rig as its extremely portable (i dont drive). I can just use one cab for rehearsals with a weight of 25.5LBS (cab is 12, head is 13.5).

its loud enough @220 watts (usually will di anyway), and its not too bad in terms of price. Additionally, if one part dies I can replace it.

Thanks for your opinions!

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I thought about the same cabs with an Acoustic Image Focus head. The head is pricey but LIGHT!!
    As far the cabs go will depend on how much you depend on stage volume. They don't get very loud, but I appreciate how much the weight factor weighs into your decision.
    However, you need to be very careful using the SWR head with those cabs. The amount of low end the head is capable of producing could damage those speakers real easily. Might also think about a GK 400RB-IV or an Acoutic Image Clarus(5 lbs).

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    One thing I have noticed about my MBE150 combo is that it doesn't throw the low end that well at louder volumes. If you're standing right in front of it it sounds pretty good but if you move about 10 feet away from the amp its all mids and no lows.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Will there be any tell-tale signs that i am putting too much low-end into the cabs?

What light rig did you end up going for?

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Walter Woods Ultra
    Bergantino HT112

Oh yeah, that's my big rig too!

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Gee, you must be loaded :D

how much does the berg112 weigh?

Do you think i can use the swr with those mbx cabs if i am careful not to add too much low-end? I just need enough to be adequate. the tone doesnt have to be "bass heavy"

thanks!

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The Berg weighs 39lbs but is nothing to move around with one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26222&item=3868396656&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The Berg will sound wonderful with the Studio 220 and will cover more gigs, a lot more than the 2 MBX's. It is the best portable cab there is as far as portability and tone.