1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinion on Kingston 5 Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blandified, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Blandified

Blandified

Mar 19, 2016
    Hey all!

My friend uses a MTD 535 and I am looking for an inexpensive alternative. It definitely needs to be a 5-string.

The bass I currently use is a 6-string SR 506 Soundgear by Ibanez, but this is my church's bass and I want something for myself. I really love playing this bass and I am wondering how a MTD compares because I love the sound of my friends MTD and he swears up and down on the playability of MTD's.

I saw some fairly cheap used MTD Kingston 5's on the guitar center website.

Looking for opinions on these. What do y'all think? Would a $700 MTD Kingston 5 be worth it? Would this lower priced MTD be a step up from the current bass I use?

Any info is good info! Thank you.

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Which MTD Kingston 5? Be more specific. $700 would buy a lot of bass depending on which way you're looking. You should take a look at the MTD Kingston Website as well.

3. Blandified

Blandified

Mar 19, 2016
    Bump :)

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I had a AG Kingston 5 and sold it. I now own an Artist 5. I've played a few 535s, but never owned one. The AG was closer to a 535 than the Artist, but neither of them is going to play or sound like a 535. Even different 535s sound different. Kingston's are their own thing. I really like them because they are light due basswood bodies, have a great neck, and are relatively cheap. I got the Artist because I wanted a light Stingray 5 with wide spacing.

5. Blandified

Blandified

Mar 19, 2016
    Thank you man! I have been doing some looking around online at them and they seem really nice!

6. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Here's a video of my new to me Z5 (purchased used here on TB). I set it up with Fodera Nickels.

Personally, I prefer my Lakeland 55-02, but I still think the Kingston Z5 sounds and feels pretty good.

Note: It does have an asymmetrical neck. It's not for everyone.