Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinion on laney harcore max 15 watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sLapshock, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    anyone tried? decided to buy it. about $155 here in singapore.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's funny. "Hardcore" and "15 watts" in the name . . .

3. Ive got a 60 watt Hardcore Max amp....its not bad for a bedroom job and very small reheasals...but im definatly going to get a new more powerful very soon.

A lot of people say the Peavey Microbass (i think thats the name) is a really good bedroom amp.

4. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    is it really that bad?

peavey microbass i know its good, but it is expensive and.. the designed realy turned me off.

5. Have you actually tried the 15 watt amp?

If you like it get it...its your choice

6. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    i dont know hwo to see a good amp or not.

7. man, hate to see what the "MIN" or "SOFTCORE" is.

kidding.

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    15 watts is useless honestly, even for bedroom levels it's almost not enough to be hear yourself over your stereo at a quiet level. Get the most power you can afford regardless of looks and don't look back.

9. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    u mean really that soft..???????? 15 watts...

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You can't just judge it on the fact it's labelled as a mere 15W. I recently did some gear testing with some friends and some of the results were suprising. For example, we compared several combos. There was a small Laney (can't remember the model but my comment was that it sounded great for home practise although it might get lost playing with other amplified instruments), a Trace Boxer (30W rating), a Marshall (12" speaker?) and a Peavey (15" speaker) - two small combos and two medium sized combos.

We were all really suprised when we turned round (the demos were done by a couple of the group while everyone sat facing the other direction) that the loudest, most "ballsy" performer was the 30W Trace Boxer. It wouldn't stand up to a full on rock performance but would cover a lot more practise and playing situations than just working on things on your own.

Therefore, I'm very hesistant about dismissing small amps out of hand. A good sounding 15W amp could be excellent for home practise or jamming along with a couple of acoustic guitars. Currently I've got a 250W Ashdown Mag head and I have to keep the volume right down to practise at home - respect for the neighbours and all that... I doubt I'm kicking out more than about 5-10W worth of volume!

Wulf

11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Are you being serious? I wouldn't want to have a room next to yours. 15 watts is just fine for a bedroom levels, playing along with your stereo, acoustic guitars...

I tested it a year or two back when I was looking for a home practice amp... ..I didn't like the sound and ended up taking an ex demo trace boxer 30 home instead. I would strongly recomend ab ing it before purchasing. You get what you pay for.

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I should have been more clear perhaps.... In my opinion experience anything with 15 watts has had junk tone, farts out on the B and was generally useless IN MY OPINION. I like it loud what can I say. And you'd be right to not want to live next to me, my fraternity brothers used to give me **** all the time about the volume but if you can't feel what you're playing why play?

13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Fender Frontman 15B.

Has been my bedroom amp from the beginning, it sounds good and is plenty loud enough for bedroom/stereo playing.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    HCM 15 < HCM 30 = crap. Though I think I already told you that in another thread...
    Just the electronics alone in it have very bad tone, and the cheap speakers make it even worse. Absolutely not worth it