Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion on my SWR SM-900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I have a new style pre-fender SWR SM-900 amp. 1 1/2 months ago I took it to a authurized Fender/SWR repair center to find out why my volume would drop out then become load again while playing. After 2 weeks not able to fix the amp due to backup in the shop they finally got to work on it and could not find what was wrong. The sent for some parts but that did not help. Then SWR sent them a new circuit board but the post boards do not work with pre-fender components (Go figure). The tech at SWR told the repair person to try somethings that might work but still could not get it fixed. I ask the repair guy if he could not fix it what can SWR do to help me? Well my answer was...nothing since this amp was built before the buyout. So basicly I would be screwed out of a $1500 amp that was in excellent condition with little scratches. My question to anyone here is... Should I call SWR/Fender and bitch about not helping me out since I have been a loyal Highend SWR user for over 7 years now and have bought many of their products? (non since the fender buyout) Should they help me since this problem was rare? Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

2. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    This is pretty common.......Fender's "extensive repair network" blows! And unlike Eden, GK, Ampeg and probably other manufacturers, Fender doesn't do any factory service.

When I had some issues with my old SM-900 one of the old SWR guys pointed me to a shop that was near the SWR factory in California. Apparently, this shop did all the "factory service" and all the techs were trained by SWR.

I can't remember the name of the shop but maybe if you contact Bryan Beller through Bryanbeller.com he might be able to tell you. (he is not an employee any more but he is a cool guy)

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Bryan's been gone from SWR/Fender for almost a year now, and is pretty much out of the loop as far as the buisness side of things go. I don't think he'd be able to help that much.

4. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I realize that Bryan is no longer with SWR but this shop did all the factory service long before the Fender buyout. In fact, probably before Bryan even started working there and wether he is in the loop or not, odds are he would remember who did their factory service for all those years. Especially since he was the one who gave me the name of the shop several years back.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    As to the actual post...

That, my friend, is crap. Fender assumed warranty coverage of SWR products when they purchased the company. If they can't fix your amp to your satisfaction, I'd demand a replacement product with a new warranty starting from the date of delivery (which is now 5 years.)

I've been an SWR supporter before-and-after the buyout and through some of the unfair claims of what Fender has supposedly done to the company. This, however, has me worried, as I'm taking my Mini Mo' into the shop on Friday for warranty-covered service. If I have any problems getting it fixed to my satisfaction, I'll be doing exactly the above myself.

6. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis

The answer that I got came from SWR and not the repair shop. The tech asked SWR if they could do anything to help me if the shop could not find the problem and SWR said no because it is 1. Out of warranty and 2. It was before the takeover and they have nothing to do with any product that is pre-Fender. The pre-Fender SWR only had a 1 year parts/Labor for their products. Since my amp is almost 6 years old I am screwed.

7. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Take the amp to another local repair tech and get it fixed. It's not rocket science , you just took it to a bum the first time.
    You don't need Fender. I also don't believe that there are any new boards for this amp that couldn't be used. Sounds like BS to Me.

8. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Well that's B.S.
    All the Professional Series came with a 2 year warranty. The Workingman's had one year coverage. I know your's is older.
    I was also concerned after the buy out too since I just got my new 550x and Goliath III just weeks before the announcement in 2003. I emailed and was told all warranties were valid with proof of purchase (i.e. receipt).

As far as the old crew goes... Kelly, Rahan and Bryan, all great guys. Hope they've found good homes.

B.

9. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    You could be right about the 2 years but reguardless it is still out of warranty. I live in Minneapolis, Mn so there are some other places to check out but I don't want to spend $150.00+ dollars to every repair shop in town. Rather take my loss and get a new amp for $1000+(Not SWR) and have a 5 year warranty

10. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well, if i was you, i'd contact bryan beller and see if he remembers that shop's name- it couldn't hurt. you're going to take an even bigger loss on that amp than you would by selling it by tossing it (or selling it as a fixer-upper). i sold all my swr stuff (at a BIG loss- swr resale is in the toilet) after dealing with fender warranty service (3 months for a new grille since the chrome was flaking off). it's a shame because i really liked my swr stuff, but knowing that if something happened to it i was s.o.l. was NOT a comforting thought. there are plenty of companies out there who want your business and have great customer service and make a good product to waste your time with the fender borg (IMHO).

11. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    It might not be a bad idea to post that shop's information should you obtain. I've emailed Bryan B. in the past and he's been very good about getting back with any help he can offer.

Good Luck.

B.

12. i had the same problem with one of their working man series amps...i only owned mine for like a year before the same thing started to happen...mine made it to the dumpster...

13. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    The shop is:
    Audio Design & Service
    10764 Vanowen Street
    North Hollywood, CA 91605
    (818)754-0467

They helped me out with the biasing procedure, the DI modification and if I had an SWR amp that was malfunctioning, I would probably eat the shipping and send it there.

14. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    They also do re-coning for you SWR PAS speakers too!

Buzz