Opinion on Price of Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punchybass, Apr 27, 2004.

1. :help: I'm looking for your always great, expert opinions. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a 1981 Fender P Bass, Sunburst body, maple neck, excellent condition with a badass II bridge and Seymour Duncan p/ups. The asking price...$750.

Would you say this is a fair price???

Thanks again guys!!
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    IIRC, MIJ didn't start production until 1982, and MIM started in 1991.

I would ask for the original parts.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    If bass plays and sound good, $750.00 is good price.
    P-basses have gone through the roof in the last year.
    A year ago I bought a 1971- Rosewood neck-sunburst-P for
    $900.00. Sold it a year later for $1600.00.
  4. I second that advice. If it's got non-original parts on it, what is so special about a 1981 P-bass other than the fact that is was made in 1981? Will you have the chance to compare it to a new P-bass?

For a little more money, you can get a brand new P-bass, WITH A WARRANTY, and change whichever parts you want later on.

Unless this bass has some kind of special vibe, why not buy new?

If you really want this bass, I'd agree with the others and say that the price is fair.

Good luck either way.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I think $750 is pretty high...$500 would be reasonable.

The "upgrades" actually make it worth less than if it was stock. I bought one like that (had a Dimarzio rather than a Duncan) a few years ago for $200 AND it came with a case.

I would only pay $750 if it was an exceptional player and sounded incredible. Otherwise, I'd pass and look for something similar but cheaper...there are plenty of P-basses from that era out there.
  6. Thank you for your opinions. It is MIA and it does come with a case. I actually thought it was a selling point that the bridge and p/ups were replaced with quality parts. It was always my opinion that Fender's stock bridge and p/ups were not the greatest, but that the actual workmanship in the neck, wood, body, etc. made it superior.
    Anyway, I wasn't sure if the $750 was reasonable. I thank you and I think the bottom line is if it sounds and feels great then it's certainly worth it!