Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion on this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leffe luffer, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Howdy ho there low end addicties!!

I recently bought a OLP MM3( fivestring) wich is a copy a Musicman original( like what epiphone is to gibson) . I have to say that It plays great, really versitale. I use it both in my metalband for thick heavy sound going nuts with my pick but it is also great when I´m at home jammin on other stuff wich needs a more crispy light sound like a fender jazz bass for slapping( wich I´m not very good at) and also when I´m learning to use two hand tapping.

Have anyone played both the musicman and the olp version of this version cause I´m curious on how close they ar in sound and feel.

Just thought I´d share a good bass purchase experience.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, obviously it is going to be a little worse then the musicman, but it is a good bass for the money. The electronics arent as nice i believe, but , like i said, its good for the money. It is kinda like a mexi fender to an american, quality wise.

3. You will probably get several people that will respond with a bad review of the OLP (4 or 5 string). It doesn't have a very good reputation around here.
    However, I have one (a 4 string) and have played them side by side. I find very little difference besides the active on the Music Man (and I realize that that can be a good amount of difference). But honestly, just dialing in a flat tone on the MM and playing them side by side, I did not see a 1000 dollar difference. Not even close.

4. I have played some really good OLPs, and some really terrible ones. It's a crap shoot really. You can get some that are quite well built, but I have played very few of those.

5. arent the subs a little bit more.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    About twice as much. And then the musicmans are twice as much as that. ha.

7. For $650, the SUB is a great bass, esspecially considering it was made in the USA.

8. I bought my olp mm3 5er on 7/4 for $199 new and love it. For the money it may be the best bass i've ever played. It's slapadelic beyond belief!!! Of course I had to play 5 or 6 of them to find mine.
    I am so tired of people knocking brands, and I mean all brands. I've played $3000 pieces of crap and $50 gems. There are so many variables I think it's never a smart move to count out any individual bass until you've played it.

Just my 2 cents

FLetch

9. like people have said it is a real crap shoot, and a definet try before you buy bass. at GC they had 3 out and two of them were crappy feeling but the 3rd one felt great. it had real good build quality and played very nice and even. for the price if you can get a good playing one with good build quality it is a very solid bass.

they are definetly not a music man stingray but nothing is, a stingray is a stingray.

but for the price they are nice and you could easily upgrade the pickups / electronics if you wanted to.