Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion on this PG with Bob Glaub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 30, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's taken me long enough, but I've realized that a P-Bass is the tone I'm after, so I'm about to bite the bullet on a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (through Steve over at DudePit). Not having a ton of color choices to pick from (between 3TS and Black), I decided to go with black.

I don't like the stock white PG, and I want something alittle different than Red Tort, so Roger from Jeannie's emailed me a picture swatch of a "Bing Cherry" pickguard. What does everyone think? Any other colors that might look nice with black?

As a P.S., I just found out that Lakland is pronounced LAKEland...not LAKland..am I out of the loop or what? :)

2. That is a beautiful combination on a great bass. Just a comment, I also found out after years of searching and having sold my old P bass...that the P bass sound was what I was missing and trying to recreate. I heard and played a Devon bass with the handwound Aero pickups and had to have a Devon made bass. I ended up having Devon build a custom made P body with a J neck and the PJ style Aero pickups. Even after my search playing the Laklands and other high-end P basses, this was the bass for me. Haven't looked back once. :)

http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/519/sort/7/cat/13/page/1

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow, that's gorgeous. How much did that run you?

I just got done reading the thread about the Barney Miller theme and my jaw is still on the floor from that tone. All the money I've spent and that's what I've been missing *lol* :)

4. Was a steal. He built me that bass for about $1200 US with a case. His active basses cost more, but this passive PJ nails the sounds so well, I can't imagine why I'd want this in an active set-up. I don't even use my outboard preamp on this bass. Devon really is very accomodating and I'd highly recommend his basses to anyone. I've even considered buying an additional Devon bass in another style, not that I need another one, but mostly because I am so pleased with this one. It's the first bass I reach for now.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That color combo is pretty close to what Geezer has....his guard is more red than brown.

[​IMG]

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is that you Steve? I was just corresponding with you yesterday about ordering this bass. As you can see I did decide on the black rosewood (with case AND gig bag). I wrote you back yesterday to see where we go from here.

That pic of Geezer is what I had in mind exactly. I saw it on the Lakland Dudepit page a few weeks ago. I initially wanted Red Tort but Roger says that the red tort has a bit of a bow or "hump" in it because of the nature of the material, so I asked him what else he would suggest and he suggested the "bing cherry". It's great that PG's are swappable too, should I change my mind. But at $65 a pop it's pricey.

I plan on adding some TI Jazz Flats (heavy) too. The red winding on the strings will look sharp on the headstock as well :)

*singing* Caaaaan you feeel, the gas tonight....

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    It's me...I see your email and will reply later this afternoon....I'm still in my underwear drinking coffee.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Definately go with red. That'll look real purdy.

I can't believe you thought it was pronounced "LAKland"! :p

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea :) I called Bass Central just to see what they had for stock (the same as everywhere else, but Steve was actually $60 cheaper :D) and I talked to Grasshopper. I asked if they had any in stock, and he tells me to hold on, then he says real quick "Oh and it's pronounced LAKEland" *lol*

Steve - Still? And I thought I was slow to get going on my days off :)

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Days off??? Wassat??? :confused:

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    No such thing. TI jazz flats come in any gauge you want as long as you want extra light. They play and sound KILLER on P basses BTW.

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh so 100 - 43 is all they have? I thought they had heavier gauge..no matter :)

Steve - That's usually my answer to what a weekend off is, seeing as I rarely get them :) "Weekend? Huh?"

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    All the days are the same for me pretty much and I generally conduct business in my underwear...I just don't get rolling until I flip from coffee to Becks later in the day. :D

[​IMG]

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks, you just replaced the image and joy of the new bass, with an image of something else entirely. And please, if you have to do any touching of the bass, while inspecting it or packing it or whatever, please put some pants on first.

Much appreciated :)

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Don't worry...I charge extra for bass licking....plus yours will be drop shipped factory direct and unmolested.

[​IMG]

16. Very similar to the colours on my MIA Fender Hot-Rod. Cept my guard is a bit darker.

That would be a cool colour combo IMO.

[​IMG]

17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    How much for you to not do it? :p

18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nice :) Thanks for the pic man.

Does anyone know if they make black flatwounds or would Labella Tapewounds be the answer? Obviously tone comes before looks, but the black would be an extra plus.

19. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I really like blue pearloid. I had one on my black jazz for awhile and it looks awesome!! I got mine from warmoth, and I'm sure you could have one custom made. I believe it was under $35 too...

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Geezer's using the new black steel strings..who makes them? D'Addario?