Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion on this rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, Sep 29, 2005.

Which combination

Poll closed Nov 13, 2005.
  1. Ashdown 300H & 2x12

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Ashdown 600R & 2x12

28 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    Okay so now that I have my budget set out in front of me I am faced with a dilema. I don't have enough for the amp and speakers that I really want so I am having to make some sacrifices. The main thing being the head. I am being forced to reconsider what wattage I am going to get. My main thing is, Do you think a 300 watt head is enough to drive behind two guitar players pushing 100wt head and a crazy drummer? I was looking at a Ashdown 300H head and an Avatar 2x12 cab to start(8ohm for room to grow) I know I will only be getting like 200 or less from the head initially but does anyone think this will be enough or should i spend the extra 200 for the 600 head? Any help would be helpful in my decision.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd go for for the larger head. I consider 250 watts per guitarist the minimum a bassist needs, unless you have very polite guitarists. I would also get a 4ohm 212 cab.

3. Just my 2-cents, but I had a hard time being heard with a 15", 8ohm cabinet with a 400Watt head (running at approx 260ish watts into 8 ohms). My guitarist had less than 100 watts.
    Then again, it was a muddy 15" of unknown origin with unknown efficiency ratings. The 15 had a hard time putting out any tones that cut through at all.

- Andrew

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Neither head is enough and almost no 212 will be enough to compete with 100watt guitar amps and a crazy drummer. If those heads are all you can swing, I'd definitely get the higher wattage head, and look into at least a 410 cab.

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I think you can do fine with some EQing. I think it would be wise to get an 8 ohm 4x10 first and then a 2x12 later.

If you get the MAG600 head just make sure the deep switch isn't pressed in and boost your mids. You should be okay.

6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Lokk at it a comprimises! Go for the power, add cabs as the $ accumulate. Maybe a new head and used cabs?

Best of Luck
    Wesley R.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    IMO, cone surface is much more important to cutting through than a couple hundred watts. If you save $200 by getting a cheaper head, you'll be able to EXPAND your cone surface SOONER.

Here's my overall suggestion:
    Get the MAG and an 8ohm B212 to start with. You MIGHT not be overwhelmingly loud.... but if you boost the mids a lot on your EQ, you're bandmates will hear you.

The advatage is that you'll have $180 or so in your pocket, which you can put towards completing a fullstack. If you save up again, you can easily afford another cab. A 410 would probably maximize your volume. That'd leave you with 300Watts, a 212, and a 410...... compared to 600Watts and a 212. I'd put my money on the Fullstack being MUCH louder, despite only holding half the power.

8. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    i think more speaker surface does more for your volume than higher wattage :bag:
    So i agree with ndjx, go for 4x10. As an added bonus it will provide you with more cutting mids compared to 2x12. If later you need even more volume a 2x12 will give you that, and a bit more bottom as well. And 4x10 + 2x12 is cool... :D

9. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I've never cut through mix with 212 in loud band. With 410 I do now

10. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    The main reason that I want to go with the 2x12 first is because we play in drop c a lot so I wanted something that filled the low end that we are needing on the songs. But then again the 4x10 would allow me to cut through more and allow the low end to be heard better. Choices choices. :eyebrow:

11. brich74

brich74 Guest

As long as you have PA support, tell those guitar players to turn their shizzle down so you all can hear yourselves. I play with a 150 watt combo. It's just a monitor after all. I do however want a bigger rig, just because.

12. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    My main problem is practice. We have no pa to run there and it gets hard to hear sometimes in the practice pad. My little hundred watt combo is just not cutting it anymore. I have tried to tell them to turn it down but hey they are guitarists we are talking about. :rolleyes:

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have an ashdown mag 300 head I got to get me by while my SVT is getting serviced. Maybe it is the ampeg 810 speaking, but this is a LOUD head for it's rated wattage! I've had lots of trouble cutting through in the past, but with this combo I can beat the worlds loudest drummer, a mesa dual rec 1/2 stack, and a fender 4x10 combo by placing my master at 9-10 o'clock.

GREAT sounding head as well! For the under-$500 head club, this is definitely a top choice.

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    ask them to turn down a little. then tell them. You shouldnt ahve to buy insane new stacks jsut for practice. a PRACTICE AMP should be at least CLSOE to enough. say, a 200 watt 112 or 115.

imo, if they dont or they give you crap or make fun of you , buy somne resistors and run them in series with their speaker wires.

you could also slepe with the guys Girlfriend and then tell him that THAT is about as rude and annoying as ridiculously loud guitar players.

nah, j/k.

adjust the EQ to tweek some 250/500 hz up and you wont sound as GOOD, but you will cut throuigh a heck of a lot more.

I use 180- 200 watts for most htings. now, its not my ideal at all, and my GASSING is working on that. but its not NEARLY as wimpy as it sounds.

15. brich74

brich74 Guest

Exactly. Needing more and wanting more are two different things. I am lucky enough to play with two guitarists who prefer to sound good than sound loud. My 150 combo is barely enough, but it's enough. I have bought myself a used preamp and planning on a qsc rmx850 power amp and a yet to be determined Avatar cab (210 or 410). This is more of a want than need however at this point.

16. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Go ahead let yourself go....Ampeg SVT and 8-10 is all you need. :bag:

17. Sooo true ;)

18. spend the money now (one the head) so you don't have to spend much more later on.

19. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Yep, those two guitar amps can bury you at will. An SVT-caliber amp is almost a must to have any real impact.

Power and Paper to the People!

20. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I say go for the bigger head. It appears you need a big rig to hear yourself over your bandmates, so work towards that. For now, with just the 2x12 you will be miles ahead of your 100W combo. You can then save up for the second cabinet.
    I always found 300W was a struggle with a loud band, even with a decent pile of speakers.