1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinion please: Rotosound Pressurewound vs GHS Pressurewound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    335e8w3.
    Gauges 45-65-85-105
    2lc7llj.
    Long Scale: Light: .040 .054 .076 .096 or
    Long Scale: Medium Light: .044 .058 .080 .102 or
    Long Scale: Medium: .044 .062 .084 .106
    Going on a fretless ebanol neck.

2. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I used a set of pressurewound then tried d'addario half rounds, and prefer the d'addario. They're smoother...I like the feel better than the weird round-but-not feel of the GHS. I also prefer the sound of the d'addario. The GHS came across as a bit mid-y for me. I would also imagine that the d'addario last longer, as there aren't as big of grooves in the winds, since the GHS is much more like rounds in completion.

3. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    funny......he did not ask to compare them to d'addarios' let alone ground wounds. I would like to know a comparison of what the OP asked also....
    I use GHS pressurewounds and love them, smoother than rounds, less sizzly, more fundamental tone than overtone...

Mystic Michael and trothwell like this.
  4. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte

Aug 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I thought the Roto's felt a lot like roundwounds, as in not as smooth. Probably has to do with them being stainless as well. I've tried the GHS, Rotosound, and SIT silencers and I keep coming back to the GHS.

PS: If you are looking to try a set of the Roto 55's I've got a set that was on my P bass for about 2 weeks. PM if you're interested.