Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion please! Warwick Corvette or Thumb 4 Bleached Blonde?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Feb 8, 2004.

1. I really want a new bass, and have chosen to go with a warwick - love the tone, feel, etc. I was looking at getting a corvette (active) 4 string, but I have the opportunity to purchase a thumb 4 bleached blonde (the limited edition 2003). The corvette will cost me AUS$2200, but doesn't sound as good as the bleached blonde, which will cost me AUS$3500. I can almost get a another Eden 2x10 (which I need) with the difference in price, but i will prolly never find another bleached blonde. What would you buy in my situation?

2. anyone?

3. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I own both Warwick Corvette and Thumb (regular model). I think I wouldn't pay the price you mentioned for either of them, but the Thumb is definitely better bass. So that'd be my choice.

Keep in mind that my Thumb is also quite old model ('94) and the Warwick quality control was supposedly better back then. The Corvette is '98 model.

Check out the used market! I think no bass is better than my Thumb, maybe different but no better.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Neither.

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'd drop the extra cash on a Blonde Thumb. Actually, I *did* =0) Everything people seem to hate about Warwick goes out the window with this thing.

-It's very light, being maple instead of ovangkol and wenge
    -It's got a crisp clean tone (also the maple)
    -It's the first Warwick I've ever picked up that begs to be slapped!

I don't know what AUS3500 is in USD today, but PM me with the conversion and I'll let you know if it's way more than I paid. (I still don't know if price disclosure is good or bad on TB when the guy that sold it to ya at the store is a TBer as well, heh)

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    bro, way to help out man :confused: you are a cool guy :rolleyes:

thumb! no questions asked....

PS every lakeland i've tried feels like poop IMHO.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Easy answer;
    Buy the one which speaks to your heart, providing your head and wallet can afford it. No one else is spending your money or knows what you like best.

Dunno where you're looking to buy from, but before you lay down the cash, try Haworth Guitars for the best price. Excellent service, and when I was looking for a Thumb, best price by several hundred dollars, much better than the website listed, even factoring in couriers.

FWIW, $A3500 = $US2700

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    No Contest -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks Bustin! You're my hero too! :p :D

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If it's definitely going to be one of the two, I personally would go for the Bleached Blonde Thumb. It's limited-edition, so it should hold its value better - Corvettes are available anytime.

11. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh my - I definitely got mine a LOT cheaper in USD than that!

So if you go with the blonde, try to buy it from the States and have it shipped. Youch on that price, seriously.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmmm.... I like the shape of the corvette, and it is more versatile, but a BB Thumb is even nicer... uhmm tough question... both? :D
    well for me it was a Corvette, because it is cheaper, it is available in 6 and I prefer the shape... but i am not you, and you are not looking for a 6, so it is your choice...

13. Thanks for the replies! (especially the one that said 'neither' - very helpful) I know the price is expensive compared to what you would pay in the US. That's just part of the fun of living in Australia i suppose :rolleyes: . The upside is that only about 4 of the thumbs came into the country, so they are very rare and should hold value if I buy it.

I know the thumb sounds WAY better than the corvette, I think I'm just concerned about paying that much considering I just resigned from my job, and don't have another one to go to yet!! haha oh well.

I think I'm going to decide today on what i want to do.

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had a Corvette Standard 5. The woods were scrumptuous (wenge, bubinga) but the electronics were anemic compared to your average Thumb. To do over again, Thumb's up.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    How about the feenders? muusicman? Eelrick? Moodulus?

16. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Hey Disco Gee,
    6 months ago I bought a 5 string active Corvette from Haworth Guitars in Australia and couldn't be happier. I just didn't have the money to even consider a new thumb so it didn't even come into the equation. I did try one though and the neck dive was really bad so make sure you try them standing up with a strap on. I paid $2200 for my 5 string new so you should be able to better than $2200 for a 4 string. IMO one doesn't sound better than the other - just different. If you can't decide - I wouldn't hesitate to go the cheaper and save yourself $1300!!

I could have sold you my Eden 210xlt - i just got rid of it for $820 Australian.

17. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    i have a 5 string corvette standard and just bought a 4 string corvette FNA jazzman last week. both are very good basses, however if you are considering going with the corvette, i recommend you look into the jazzmans. endless tone options and an awesome overall bass. you can usually get a great price on a used one if you look hard enough.

either way, you can't go wrong with a warwick...just my 2 cents. :D

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    :D

so I have a peech inspedament :meh:

I have made worser mistackles...

Life is short!... add vowels! :spit:

19. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    But he's talking about the Bleach Blonde Thumb, which being all maple, hasn't got that heavy dive characteristic like normal Thumbs do =0)

20. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Get the Thumb! Its your only choice...