Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinion please (wood combo)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skguitarsbasses, Sep 3, 2003.

1. how do you people feel about this wood combo?
    figured spruce top:
    [​IMG]
    spanish cedar mid-body:
    [​IMG]
    and figured mahogany back:
    [​IMG]

2. bueller....bueller...anyone...

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I like it.
    I imagine this is for an ABG.
    Too bad you couldn't use something like the figured mahogany on the front, that would look sweet.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Is this for an ABG, or maybe for a semihollow body? If the latter, I'd think it oughta work fine, though I personally would prefer to see more visual variety in the woods. If the former, why not use the same wood for back and sides? That always looks aesthetically better on an acoustic instrument to me.

If this is for a solidbody ... it strikes me as something of a bland combination ... sorry

5. it would be for a solid body, i guess i just have too much of a crush on that spruce/pine nordstrand bass on the bunny bass site.
    i'm going to be building this bass to sell and see how much i can get for it...sort of a market test
    but if you all think thumbs down on the combo, i may go with a different top (but keep the cedar and mahog back), any suggestions?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I dunno, this is all just personal opinion, but I don't particularly like the Spanish cedar into the figured mahogany. First, the figure on the mahogany doesn't excite me much, and second, the two woods, at least from the pics shown, don't look to me either (a) similar enough for the join to flow smoothly or (b) different enough for the contrast to be pleasing. Also, figured backs seem like kind of a waste of time to me anyway, but obviously that's just my bias. Why not make the back and body both Spanish cedar? As for tops, you could go a zillion ways. I just got a couple of basses with amboyna burl tops. Something like that, or thuya or imbuya burl, or maybe lacewood, might work with the color tone of Spanish cedar. I don't think buckeye (horse chestnut) burl would. Maybe figured bubinga or sapele.

Don't mean to be negative, but you did ask .... Good luck with whatever you choose, and let us know how it turns out.;)

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you're looking to test the market and get some attention for your business, I'd suggest a top that would definitely be attention-grabbing, like a burl of some type. I'd avoid flame or quilted maple unless you can find a really nice piece of either, as they've become pretty standard at this point, and you'll probably make more with a fancy top.

8. thanks for the input

i guess i was trying to go for more of a classy look than something flashy, i was also trying to make it pretty light weight

the bass i'm currently making for myself has a bocote top, mahogany body, and a pau fero back...it's going to be a bruiser, but probably too heavy for most people's taste

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Well since it's for a solid body, I think maybe a Redwood burl top would be nice if you could get a hold of a nice piece. There is also some real nice figured Walnut that I've seen out there too.

I also agree that if this is to test the market, I would not use the Spruce, maybe on a later build. But to grab attention use something stunning for the top.

Good luck on your decision, and post some "work in progress" pics. It's nice to see how the building process progresses along.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Oh yeah, redwood burl might look very cool. And that's not an extremely heavy wood, is it? I know a number of makers use regular redwood for acoustic guitar tops.

sk, what were you gonna use for the neck? Because if the body is too lightweight vis-a-vis the neck, and the balance isn't right, the infamous neck dive becomes a worry.

You've probably seen these, but anyway:

http://www.galleryhardwoods.com/gallery.htm

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't worry about the top wood adding much weight to a bass, at least not if it's 1/4" top or less.

12. the neck is going to be horizontal layers, haven't decided on the combination yet, but the weight distribution between body and neck will be kept in mind
    any suggestions?

basically trying to make a bass that is universally likeable

and bryan- that's true in most cases but have you ever picked up a 1/4" bookmatched set of pau ferro? it's like glueing a cinder block onto your bass. :D

how about the bookmatched figured bubinga on gallery hardwoods?

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's probably just the fact that I'm used to playing a 13-14 pound bass. Everything seems light after that :D

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I thought that looked pretty sweet. Also liked the birdseye redwood and the mesquite burl.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with the others here who have expressed a desire to see a more interesting piece used for the top plate.

Although that Nordstrand is a refreshing change from all the usual quilts and flame tops on the market, that pine/spruce combo and its "clean" looks would be boring in a couple of months.

I'd rather see a darker, more visually interesting tonewood used for the top, or even a bookmatched top of figured maple, like the spalted burl example shown below from a current eBay lumber auction -

[​IMG]

16. thanks for responding, guys. i sincerely appreciate the input.
    now hopefully one of you will want to buy the finished product :D
    i'll do an in progress thread when i get started, won't be for a couple of weeks