Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrpezzer, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mrpezzer

mrpezzer

Mar 15, 2005
    Hi there,

About to upgrade my 'Peavy Session' amp and 'Peavy 15BW' cab. Thinking of getting a 'Hartke 3500' amp and 'Hartke 410XL' cab. Have been quoted £700, does this sound like a good price? Obviously minus whatever they give me for my amp part exchange.

Do you think that set up would be a good choice for use in a modern rock band? £700 is about the most I can spend.

Thanks

Mike

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey man,

I run a 3500 and a hartke 2x10 XL. I play in a hard rock band
    and I recorded with the 3500, 210xl and a peavy 1x15. I've never been very happy at all with my tone from this amp/cab config, but it also may be that my basses aren't of terribly high quality. There are many people on here who support the 3500, but it isn't giving me anwhere near the sound or clarity I want.

If you can test the setup before buying....do so. You may be able to get an idea of the sound by the recordings I have on our webite with full band, but take it with a grain of salt, the records are well mastered and the bass is kinda low in the mix.

3. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I used to own a hartke 3500 and transorter 4x10 (aluminum cones) Well, the cab is absolute garbage, not very loud, shrill highs, gets muddy if you try to get lows with it.
    The 3500 head is ok though, doesnt have a ton of power (seems like less than 350w) The compression knob is not all that great, but the ability to blend the tube and ss preamp is kinda cool. For under 500 bucks, (american) you could get a GK 400rb and with a 4ohm cab for anothe 300 (Like an aguilar 1x12) you could kill that hartke set up. Or maybe an Ampeg 1x15. Hell I'll sell you my 700rbII for 400! Im saving up for tube. Point being, Im not a fan of Hartke stuff, I really urge you to go to your store and try out some mesa, ampeg, Aguilar or GK stuff.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMO, switching from peavey to hartke isn't much of an upgrade (depending upon the specific peices) both are cool mid-level/workhorse brands, but i'd save a bit more cash if i was going to try to improve my sound. :meh:

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try looking used... Thats all I can really recommend at that price. :meh:

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    What about an Ashdown MAG300 and the matching 410? Can you get/try Ashdown where you live? I think you can get better tone with this rig than the Hartke IMO. Also, look around for a used Trace Elliot rig to try out. Trace is mmm mmm good! :D

BTW, I'm not bashing Hartke. I loved my old Hartke 3500. Notice the emphasis on old. The newer heads just don't have the same tone as the old ones. I think their quality has gone down as well.

7. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    My opinion, which you asked for... is not worth much,

But, if by "Peavy Session" you mean the Sessionbass head, and by "15BW" you mean a 15" Black Widow cab, those are pretty good gear. The tone and reliability of those units is good, in my limited experience, and without spending significant cash, you will have some difficulty duplicating that, only louder (which I assume is your direction here). Have you tried adding on a second cabinet with the same head? Might work for now. Also, if you are happy with the Peavey head's tone, you could use it as a preamp and just add a separate cheap power amp and 210 or 112 cab for larger venues.

8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I just sold a Peavey SessionBass, but it was pretty sweet sounding. It held its own with my Eden WT-400 and my Genz-Benz GBE600. I'd add a 210 or 410 to your set up to make the most of your head. If that doesn't solve your problem and you like the tone of your Peavey, I'd really look into trying to find a used Peavey Firebass 700. I had one of those too... very capable amp, and fairly cheap used (I got mine for $300 USD).

Jake