Opinion: Rogue SX100B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Jan 25, 2001.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to basses and I was wondering if you know anything about the Rogue SX100B electric 4-string. If anybody's owned, owns, or has played a bit on one of the give me your opinions!

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's what I know: my brother bought one for his stepdaughter because it was real cheap. And it was her first bass. It ain't worth a hundred bucks. It ain't worth 50.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I guess I should post here because I may have started the running joke on TalkBass about Rogues.

My advice is - Don't spend $100 (+ shipping if you have to order it) for a bass you will be eventually getting rid of anyway, in all probability. If I was in your shoes, I'd scrape together whatever I could, and lay it out on something used on eBay (if you aren't familiar with eBay, just let me know)or something used at a local dealer/in the newspaper classified ads. I saw a Peavey Foundation on eBay today for $160 and an Aria for $60, for example. Sure, it's an auction and the prices may go up, but these were on auctions ending Sat. and the bidding on lower end basses like were talking about isn't very competitive as a rule.

With used, you will still probably get rid of the bass eventually either because you gave it up or you're ready to trade up to something better. But you'll get more for your money as long as nothing is seriously wrong with it.

Are you working with a budget? If we know what kind of money you have available, we can help you zero in on some.

If it makes you feel any better, I started out several decades ago on a guitar on which I hammered nails into the head so I could tune the strings down to bass notes.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't there a big "clue" in the username here - as in somebody who like to start flames!! :rolleyes:
  5. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    It's a fine piece of equipment. A bargain at twice the price.
  6. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Well, I'm trying to stay under $100 and I found one for 80 at musicians friend. I'm just wondering if its worth all my birthday money and then some. And my name, Chronic Pyromania is the name of the band I'll be joining. Thanks for your opinoins!
  7. Heh, no kidding. That Rogue has probably fallen apart by now. :)