Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion: The best metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scumbass, Feb 7, 2002.

1. I currently have a B.C. Rich Neck-thru Warlock, and and ESP B-305. Both are bada$$ metal basses. However, I am currently shopping for a new mid-priced 4 string. I was wondering what else is good as far as metal basses go?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Whatever bass you like.

P Bass?
    Stingray?
    Soundgear?

3. A modded P-Bass ( Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pound P-Bass Pickup and a Badass II Bridge for the sound and an Inca Silver Body with a Brushed Silver Pickguard for the looks :D )

4. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    If you are going to play a metal bass, I would recommend something light, such as titanium. Steel will probably be too heavy, as will gold and lead. Perhaps you should look into some aluminum alloys. :D

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i was going to say "something pointy!" but you already have that covered :confused:

i would say that there are 2 kinds of basses -

basses that are only good enough for certain kinds of music
    basses that are so good you could use them for anything

get one of those #2 category basses: spector, warwick, fender jazz/precision, modulus, peavey cirrus/millenium, etc....

a good bass will be a good metal bass - unless you're basing your opinion on how much harm you could cause someone with it :p

jason

6. There was a similar thread not long ago. However, I'll be happy to repeat myself. SPECTOR, SPECTOR and more SPECTOR. If you want an aggressive, in your face tone then look no where else my friend!!!

7. Try a Dean Vintage (black of course!) or a Dean Demonator. Also, try a Jackson X series KBX. If you wanna try another BC Rich, I go for the Beast or teh Widow. They look awesome and they'll sound similar to your current bass.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yep I would say. :
    Stingray
    Modulus
    Warwick
    Spector
    Conklin
    Something pointy and with a pentagram

These are some ones that will cut thru the mix, and thats the hardest thing to do in heavy bands, the guitars are so thick sounding.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll be the odd man out and say the MTD Kingston. I've had some people asking me about it. Cuts through easily, constructed very solidly, simple, and best of all, plays like buttah.

Less than $450!

10. I'd add Zon to that list. Nothing eats through a mix like a Sonus...except a Sonus Special.

11. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Case in point..Listen to M.I.R.V. Craig McFarland gets insane tone out his Zons and a ****load of effects. Great stuff. Zons cut through like no ones business.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I agree, I think a Czech Spector or better would have a wonderful sound for metal.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It hasen't been said, but Spector NS-4 CR's & USA's are the ULTIMATE METAL BASS!!!! :p :D

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    spectors do kick serious *** for metal (those hi-mids are perfect for the genre).

what i want to know is if rics are any good for metal. i swear that paul d'amore (tool's original bass player) used/uses one.

15. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I would think Rics could definitely fill in for metal with the right amp and EQ. Old school bassists like Squire and Lee got some wonderfully agressive tones out of their 4001's back in the day before people even used the term 'metal'!

For that matter, I would say G&L might be a candidate as well. Could just be me, but I think with everything cranked in series mode and both pickups on, the L-2000/2500 is one raw mutha.

16. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm pretty sure paul did use a ric, i know cliff from metallica also used one, my bass teacher used to use one also.

17. Cliff Burton's tone was terrible with Metallica. I wouldn't cite him as an example of proper metal tone.

For me, there is one great metal tone, and one alone: a '70s Precision with a Seymour Duncan Hot pickup, Rotosound flats, and ridiculously low action. That's right, kids: STEVE HARRIS.

18. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Have to agree on the P-bass. I've got a '77 with a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pouder. Very Nice......

Steve Harris IS God

Chris

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd suggest:
    Fender Precision
    Gibson Thunderbird
    and if you want something more "modern"
    Czech Spector

20. I gotta say Warwick. They cut through really well. They're kinda heavy, though. If you look on ebay, you can find some really nice four-strings for good prices.