Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion Wanted... Should I Keep this old amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobertUI, Nov 11, 2005.

1. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Ok, I know that everyone here has lots of opinions to give, and this time I am actually welcoming them! :)

I have an older Peavey Amp that I picked up for next to nothing some time ago, coupled with a beat up old 1x15 cabinet that I've had lying around for years (loaded with a sheffeld series peavey speaker). I don't really need this amp (or 2 others that are not getting used) but, I have this wierd desire to hold onto it.

[​IMG]

The reason that I am asking for opinions, is because with my main rig, I don't really have any NEEDS, but I always have GAS and I hate to see gear sitting idle...

This is NOT an ad to sell the amp, but I want to know what you all would do, should I sell it (I know I won't get a ton of cash) or keep it just because it's cool. It's got a great sound, especially with the distortion/fuzz/harmonics channel. The other thing to mention as well, is that I have 2 other practice amps, so there's really no NEED to keep this one. My main rig can be broken down for smaller clubs, or I can use my 80W TNT combo... so this is why I post the ???

Thanks !
    :hyper:

2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Man I haven't seen on of those in ages and that's in great shape too! If I remember right it's 210 watts, which back in the mid 70's was considered a lot of power.

I'd be tempted to keep it too just because, well, just because.
    On the other hand I'm a strong believer in not having stuff laying around that I'll never use.

You've got an interesting piece of history built back when Peavey was still struggling to become a player in the business and was largely put down as good cheap stuff for poor musicians.

So me, I might keep the head, but I'd get rid of the cabinet.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes, I have not seen one of those in many a year. Think about the coming holiday season and contemplate a good deed. See if you can donate it to a charity or local music program that is in need.

4. I have one of those exact amps!! It's a Series 400, "the Bass"--if you need a manual, go to the Peavey site and look under "the Bass"

Rated 210 watts into 2 ohms, 140 into 4 ohms I believe. It's got some neat channel switching (assuming you've got the proper footswitch).

I carry mine as a backup head still. The only repair I've had to do was replacing the output transistors around 20 years ago. This year I put in fresh filter caps on the power supply, though I wasn't yet getting any hum on the old ones. Volume pots are scratchy so I might replace them...

If you've got the space, why not keep it? (the amp, dunno about the cab)

PM me if you want the schematics.

5. I played one of those in the mid to late 70's from my rather foggy memory... don't hold me to the exact dates. I had a Ric4001 with a stereo cable. I ran the bridge pickup into the channel with all the mid tone controls, and the neck pickup into the bassic channel.... sounded great. Built like a tank.

Hey... the retro thing is in full hip... enjoy!

6. Check your email, passinwind

7. definatly ditch the head, Right into my hands! :)

8. i say if it sounds good, and you feel like using it you could get a power amp (so it doesn't seem so useless in the volume area) and pair it with that and a good cabinet. two rigs are DEFINITELY better than one

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mid to late 70's huh... well do try to find the exact dates!
    :eyebrow:

:D

10. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Now the decision's getting tougher... I've been playing it the past coupla days (my main rig's set up in our practice space) and it does sound pretty sweet... Like it's been said... maybe 2 heads are better than 1? :D