1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion Wanted: "Warmest Strings"?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joeschitterefsk, Oct 22, 2010.

1. joeschitterefsk

joeschitterefsk Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Need an educated opinion from users: who's got the warmest sounding strings out there? I"m still looking for definition and proper tone, but I play with a pick and most of my stainless choices are too bright/clanky.

Gone down the nickel only road but haven't found something that I really love.

I've been unimpressed with DR coated, Exlixir nano/poly web coats and GHS/Slinkys aren't worth the packaging they come in IMHO.

Been moving back and forth with various D'addario sets: Chromes seem too dull/lack sustain, Regular XLs are just "ok" as are their coated ones. Half-rounds are decent but still lacking in the sustain dept to my ear.

Thoughts?

2. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I used to love that bright/clanky stainless steel sound until I started playing fretless...then all of a sudden it sounded harsh to me and have switched to nickel or nickel-plated stainless steel on both my fretted and fretless basses over the past year. For my 4-string Fender Jazz...have gone back and forth between GHS Boomers and D'Addario XL's and am happier with the latter. For my Brice HXB-405 fretless I just switched from stainless steel to Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (strung onto the bridge rather than through the body) and find the sound to be much warmer.

3. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    DR Sunbeams would be worth a try.

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    + 1 Sunbeams.

I use 'em on my '62 Jazz RI. Take just a little bit to wear in, but when they do they're awesome IMO. Not quite the zing of a regular round, and not the dull thump of a flat wound. Easy playability (great feel and response), punchy and warm. I play with a pick and fingerstyle.

Here's a link that ED Friedland did of a breakdown of various DR strings, complete with opinions, and audio reference. Just scroll down a bit.

http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html

5. Unimpressed with DR? Whoa, lol. Might I suggest Ken Smith Burners? I think the name is very appropriate! Very warm but with great clarity and definition. Good for pretty much anything.

6. +1

Although you said you tried nickels, if you haven't tried these I would.

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Leave a set of Rotos on for a year or 2!

8. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    if you tried Sunbeams but didn't like 'em

try Thomastik Infeld SuperAlloy
    very warm but not as bright as the Sunbeams

9. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Some good suggestions in this thread but I'll add my 2c: Maxima are said to be very lively yet have a pleasant clank. They're quite expensive too. Sfarzo also seem like a very high quality string. Maybe a roundcore set would be worth seeking out, it's a rather subtle difference but might be just what you are looking for. Another thing worth checking out is pressurewounds, not as flat as halfrounds but not as bright as regular rounds.

10. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Duncan Nickels are warm with excellent low mids. i like the DR Sunbeams too.

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

DR Sunbeams.
    Ken Smith Compressors.
    GHS Pressurewounds.

12. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    These.

13. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    All of the above mentioned nickels and hybrids are warm and awesome, without moving into flats territory. You may try out a bunch of rounds or grounds only to find out flats were what you wanted all along. If you play with a pick and are worried about retaining "proper definition and tone," there's nothing wrong with flats + pick + tone knob wide open. It is tone heaven (at least for me!)

edit: reading the post again and you saying chromes are dull, I would definitely check out sunbeams or compressors.

14. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Roll off some treble.

15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    What about Chromes would make one say they are dull? To me, they are the punchiest, gnarliest, growliest flats I've ever played. I really like them. You can even slap on them, although the tone that results isn't ideal.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Rotosound swing 66 and Dr neon. The latter are little bit brighter but retain the warmth etc of the former. Rotosounds are the least bright stainless rounds Ive tried yet very musicial and more pleasant sound overall then most to me. The DR neons may have a touch more low bass articulation to them. The little bit of extra treble at first is easilly taken care of by slightly rolling off treble control on your basses preamp.

17. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I concur.

18. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    To my knowledge, the Pyramid Gold flatwounds by far. I just bought a set in custom gauge 45-65-85-105 (instead of the normal 40-55-75-105 set) and the tone is as warm as it gets: thick, dark and creamy, yet with some articulation. They also have a not too high tension, which I like.

Compared to the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flatwounds, they are much warmer and much more old school sounding, also a bit stiffer/higher tension to play and generate considerably less fret noise, probably also due to their lower output.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You want to try PURE nickel roundwounds (not nickel plated like you've been trying). Something like DR Hellborgs or Fender 7150's.

20. I have a used set of 45-100 Sunbeams gathering dust (not literally!) if you're interested.