Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinion: Which neck/fingerboard combo?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, Apr 11, 2005.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'm building a 4-string jazz bass. I know it's not very original, but I'm not going for originality here -- it's about age long desires. :smug: I'm quite fond of the color "British Racing Green," but I can't decide on the neck or the hardware. Right now, I'm thinking chrome hardware and a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard, possibly lined fretless. Any other suggestions?

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    maple neck with black block inlays?? Maybe toy around with gold hardware vs. chrome?

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I always thought that gold complimented green rather well.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've also considered gold. I really like the color, especially on darker natural wood colors (especially walnut). Oh, and I forgot to mention the pickguard -- white pearl at this point.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You might not think so, but I saw a Jazz with a real dark blue finish, pearl P/G, and all gold hardware, and it was stunning...

6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    No face dots is cool......you can't see them when playing anyway.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Face dots will depend on if I go fretless (lined) or not. If I do, then no markers. I may not do any markers at all -- the lines only.

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    After looking at some pictures, I'm really liking the maple neck with a maple fingerboard. I'm also liking gold tuners on maple. The only problem is that AllParts sells a Hipshot "B" bridge with string-thru, but they don't sell it in gold. And I looked on Hipshots website and I couldn't find such a bridge. They've got B bridges without ST, but not with.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There's the age-long debate of string-through-body or not... Most say that stringing through has no effect on the sound.

Oh and green + gold + pearl + maple = ewww IMHO
    but with blue + gold + pearl + maple it would look very cool. I've seen that combo on many guitars, and they looked cool.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've never played an instrument w/ string-thru. I just like it because it's a little innovative and different that your traditional string setups.

Hmmm.... I'm pretty set on the green color. I went to the local guitar shop a few days ago to get ideas on the color and I didn't like the the dark blue jazz they had. Don't get me wrong, there are blue/dark blue basses that I think look killer, but the blue jazz just wasn't doing anything for me.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, yeah, in the end it has to do something for you, not me :)

12. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    My personal choice would be a natural finish with a maple/ebony or maple/rosewood neck, but if you really want a green bass, I say go with the maple/maple neck.

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Well I'm only doing the solid finish because the body will be made from a 2-piece alder blank and I don't want the seam to show through. But if it were one-piece, I'd definitely go natural. :smug:

14. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah, that is a good pretty reason to go with a solid finish.

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I looked and looked for a 1-piece blank, but I'm wanted to keep the cost at a minimum. However, I still have my tax return, which I'll be using for a build. Claro walnut w/ lightly flamed maple top maybe. That will definitely be natural.