Opinion, who makes the best bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip McAdam, Jun 18, 2021.

1. The thread title says it all, I am curious about what makes a good neck and who is doing that the best.

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Well people have different hands and preferences so there is no single answer that is correct, as you well know. Also a maker can make good 4-string neck but awesome 5-string necks, to you. So many variables. For me and a 5-string, the best I have tried is my Marleaux-bass from Germany. I can't say exactly what it is, but the result for me is that it takes very little effort to play it, in a way that I can concentrate more on what to play than actually overcome the problem of handling an instrument neck. Another a 5-string neck that surprised me positively was a Lakland USA 55-94 which I tried in a store.

For a 4 string, I like jazz width but with a thick-ish front to back, to fill the hand.

Anyway, my tip is try to get a feel feel for which variables you like from there parameters:
    Width
    String spacing
    Neck thickness
    Neck general shape ( U, V, D-shape etc)
    Scale

If you know what you prefer, it's easier to filter out the unwanteds.

And on the bass itself, distance from top horn to the 12th fret (for reach to the first fret when playing)
    Balance on the strap
    Weight

After that, you can worry even more about pickups and pickup placement, preamp, woods, bass color, price, and lots more. Fun ain't it? :D

Miles_ONeal, Bruno1950, avi and 12 others like this.
  3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    A good neck is like a fine art. There are countless pieces but each one is unique.

Mickey666, MovinTarget, SJan3 and 9 others like this.
  4. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Yes

79glide, P Cheen, Iristone and 12 others like this.
  5. The only neck that made me go 'whoa', was the one on a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody 30.

Turock, GregC, Liam Wald and 4 others like this.
  6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Probably the Mayones 9 Piece necks!

TonyP- and Philip McAdam like this.
  7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Impossible to answer. I love the necks on my Fodera and Stingray. Completely different but extremely comfortable.

8. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

I'm partial to Precision necks, 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 at the nut. Warmoth makes a nice reinforced neck. I also have a couple nice Mighty-Mite necks. Squier's CV necks are nice as well. All of these have been stable and relatively trouble free.

9. We can’t agree on what best means, never mind who makes it.

10. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    The multi laminate Kubicki necks score the highest for me but I also have a inexpensive Schecter bass with an incredibly fast comfortable neck on it.
    Personal preference rules here.

Bruno1950, mjm666, marshallw and 3 others like this.
  11. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Best neck I have ever played was on my Sire V7 4 string just an amazing feeling and playing neck. Runner up would be the neck on my Sire P7 5 string

12. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    My personal favorite is the Stingray Special 4. It just fits my hand perfectly.

Bipslapper, mjm666, Slodo and 3 others like this.
  13. JuanB

JuanB

Feb 20, 2010
    Modulus, Zon, Status

14. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I cant tell you the answer, but I really like a wider neck with a flat radius and thin feel between the thumb and fingers. My Schecter model T bass is to die for in this respect.

Ggaa, Philip McAdam and red_bassist like this.
  15. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    until you play the neck on a yamaha attitude 3 you can not really answer this question. I mean, how does a neck that big play so fast and effortless?

16. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

For me it’s the necks on Dean Edge and Hillsboro basses that have a satin finish on the back of the neck. Thin and narrow. Very similar to Schecter and Ibanez necks but not quite the same.

[edit] Dean Jeff Berlin USA and Czech basses too.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Arthur U. Poon and Philip McAdam like this.
  17. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I love my Warwick Thumb's wenge neck, but I really like my Dingwall maple necks. And my MIJ P bass. And my Lakland Skyline 44-60.

18. Depends on your hands more than anything else. For me, the thin necks on Schecter basses feel awesome.

19. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    Very personal question - everyone is going to have a different answer based on their experience and opinion. For me:

Sadowsky - my NYC Vintage 21-fret neck is just to die for
    A close 2nd was 2ng Gen Peavey Fury. That neck had no business being as comfortable as it was
    Honorable mention to my Peavey T-40. Yes, very different neck, but also just works for me

Arthur U. Poon and Philip McAdam like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021