1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jdwinva, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    My guitarist cancelled two upcoming shows five days in advance due to a bad back. OK - so we called and got a sub. He agreed and learned 18 new songs in a few days. He shows up at the gig and the regular guitarist shows up demanding to play and get paid. BTW - he's all hopped up on Flexeril, Vallium, and Vicodin for his back. Now "the band" wants to screw over the sub guitarist and pay the regular guitar player for the night. I'm ready to find another band. The sub guitarist just said "I think I'll get going" when he saw what was going down. BTW - the sub is a full-time pro musician and has a family. Opinions? :mad:

2. If the dude flakes on a gig, you play the gig without him. If he repeatedly flakes on gigs, you boot him. If the band won't boot him, you bail.

3. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    +1 Zachoff makes a great point. Good bassists are too hard to find to put up with that kind of crap. Find yourself a bunch of band mates that are not flakes and have good work ethics.

good luck

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    You hired the sub after your guitarist pulled out IMO the sub should get the gig since you hired him to step in. The only other thing to do is pay the sub for his trouble and time for coming out maybe half the money he would of made and let the dolt regular guitarist play. Give the other half to your regular guitarist let him play then bail on this idiot.

5. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    You (the band) hired the sub---you owe the sub his agreed-upon pay. By the time the other guitarist showed up it was far too late to cancel on him. You should pay him the entire amount he was promised, along with an apology for the flakiness of the (rest of the) band.

6. SH69

SH69

Jan 7, 2010
    +1 unquestionably this is the correct answer.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I thought half was good but after reading this post I now will also agree you owe him 100% of the money he would of earned.

8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    At the very least the guitarist gets paid. If the rest of the band can't see this I'm looking for a new one that has their morals right.

9. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    You guys owe the sub his agreed upon pay. I'd pay him out of my pocket and quit the band. There's no way I could deal with the reputation you guys are going to have now among the guys in the local scene.

10. yup.....the sub showed up,and earned his pay.....pay him yourself if you have to,even if it hurts.....your reputation is worth everything to you....and dump the guys that want to stiff the sub

11. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Its actually pretty easy. You tell the sub that the regular guy is going to play the gig, but offer to pay him anyways. The sub more than likely refuses the pay, to enhance his solid rep. Should the sub accept what is rightfully his, the pay splits out of everyone's share.

Then you deal with the incumbent.

12. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    This one shouldn't even be a discussion.

What if you were the sub, and a band hired you to learn 18 songs in a hurry, you do all the right prep, spend time travelling to the gig, you show up as agreed and then the band says, "sorry, the regular bassist showed. We don't need you."

Bet you wouldn't be putting a discussion here. You owe the sub everything you agreed to. And you need to be honest about it. So the band has to eat his share. Doesn't matter if you guys already took the cash and spent it. You need to pony it all up.

If I were him I'd take you to small claims court immediately. Then you'd pay plus.

13. I have to agree. If the cancellation is too late for the sub to get another gig that night, he should get paid.

14. Hell yeah, pay the sub. I don't really have a preference as to whether you take the money from the flaky guitarist or split it between all the members.

Randy

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If you ever want to have the option of finding a sub again, you'd better pay him. And you have a problem that needs dealing with with that guitarist.

16. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    So, you did this to a busy full time working musician? He probably won't take you to court because it was probably a modest sum. I sub, and I probably would have done the same thing this guitarist did; cut my losses and walk away wiser. My music contacts would hear about me getting stiffed. It would probably be foremost in my mind when someone mentioned the group. You might find it harder if you ever need a sub again.

If your bandmates can't figure out why this is a problem, just give up on them. Your reputation for professionalism and trustworthiness are as important as your playing if you want to get out of the bedroom. I would have given him MY cut, not only because its the right thing to do, but to make sure it wouldn't bite me when I'm auditioning for HIS band in five years......

17. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    You need an opinion? [​IMG]

18. No question the sub gets paid.

So what was the question?

+1 to paying him yourself and finding another band.

19. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Thanks. I'm having a talk with the band next week and am prepared to walk. They must know this is the case because the drummer just called and wanted to know if "I wanted him to take over the booking relationship with our agent" - give me a break!

20. How is there even a discussion? If you didn't do the above......shame on you, the band, and maybe even you personally. Seems like you are trying to right a wrong so benefit of the doubt. Reputation. Reputation. Reputation.