Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions about ashton and behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MonKey-TurD, Oct 10, 2003.

1. MonKey-TurD

MonKey-TurD

Oct 10, 2003
    hey everyone, im looking and getting a new amp, i went to a music store and they suggested i get an ashton BO410 box, 400W RMS with 4x10 speakers with a behringer head, "ultrabass BX3000T" 300W RMS

the price is right... but are they good amps?

thanks for any help

2. Here we go again, here we go again......

Do a search on Ashton and Behringer, you'll find plenty. Maybe not Ashton. They're Australian specific I think.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    hmm mabye you mean ashdown????

I dont have the behringer (yet) but im gonna get one, do a search ive posted a few threads about this one....

4. There's a thread on this subject somewhere in Amps, from fairly recently. If you trawl back through pages 2,3,4 etc, you should find it.

John

5. MonKey-TurD

MonKey-TurD

Oct 10, 2003
    all this amp stuff is over my head :meh:

maybe i should just buy one thats loud, good tone, and has a big warranty :p

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    yes.

7. OK. What you choose to buy will ultimately be a compromise between what you can afford, and what sounds good to your ears. Let those two criteria be the determining factors in the purchase of your rig. Ashton boxes I believe use budget pressed steel frame celestian speakers, if you like the sound of them, then fine.
    As far as the Behringer head goes, People on here say that it's almost a direct rip off of the design and appearance of the English Ashdown Engineering amp, but made in the third world with underpaid labour and cheaper components. They therefore have a distinct dislike for behringer. Behringer are also alleged to have ripped off the designs of American companys QSC and Mackie.
    While personally I don't see that much difference between copying amp designs and playing covers of other peoples songs and getting paid for it, I find the loyalty and morality involved in the objectors reasoning admirable.
    If you can afford to, factor in these points also when you are choosing your gear. I think this distills the general consensus of opinion here on tb.
    but that's my opinion

8. MonKey-TurD

MonKey-TurD

Oct 10, 2003
    yeah, i guess it can be my benchmark for buying amps i guess (or "nothing ****tier!" to be crude as possible) since i can afford it , but wouldnt mind finding something better
    i reckon i will go around to a few other music shops tomorrow and check out their amps
    at least i may be able to get the same thing for cheaper!
    ta for lotsa help :)

9. Where are you Monkey Turd? I can't tell from your profile. If you are in Melbourne there should be quality second hand bass gear galore around your way as it's an absolute hub for bands.

10. MonKey-TurD

MonKey-TurD

Oct 10, 2003
    yeah im in melb, but i got the trading post and there isnt anything in there! and i have no idea where else to look!

11. MonKey-TurD

MonKey-TurD

Oct 10, 2003
    thanks tons for the list, i'll check out a ton of those shops for the best deal, after all i got a 2 week wait on before allans get that head in, so it will give me time to shop around and find a better deal

also i got the pro-audio book, but i dont really like mail order, i always like to try stuff, but i would buy mesa boogie from there cos i know its good(when ever i come across 7 grand next) :p

12. The Pro Audio bass gear is actually made in Melbourne by Audio Assemblers. From what I've heard, they appear to be the same amp as the Ebony heads which are sold by the Bass Player in Sydney. These heads are regarded as being of pro quality. http://www.australianmusic.asn.au/mag/check12/check_Ebony_Quake_400_Pocket_50_Bass_amplifiers.html
    It might be worth a phone call to Audio Assemblers ( I don't think they sell to the public as they are not retail ) to see if they can put you on to someone local who owns one. That way you can get to hear how they sound and see how they look and also ask the owners opinion of the amp.
    Personally, I like the idea of buying Australian made as long as the product and price are reasonable.

13. Congrats on your purchase Monkey-turD, I've played through a yorkville combo in a shop and really liked the sound of it. They are made in Canada I think. To the best of my knowledge, impedance is a measure of resistance ( opposite force ) presented by the speakers that governs how much power an amp can put out, without burning out.
    In simple terms, it's sort of like a garden tap. The mains water pressure is always the same, but what comes out end of the hose is governed by the valve ( tap ). If you only have it half on, you won't get much coming out the end. Different speaker loadings ( impedances ) have exactly the same effect as the tap on your amps ability to put out it's full rated power. The lower the number, the more power the amp will put out.
    If the XM200 is a combo amp, Then you probably won't get the full 200 watts output without using an extension speaker to get the impedance of two ohms. Ask the shop's advice on this as I'm not that familiar with this particular amp. Cya.